Nortonville man drowns Monday at Perry Lake
A Nortonville man drowned Monday afternoon at Perry Lake.
Robert Courter was submerged for eight to nine minutes after swimming out to assist a child in the water, according to Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig.
Courter was pulled from the lake by others at the beach, and was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Doctors there could not revive him.
The incident occurred about 5 p.m. near the Perry area swimming beach, Herrig said.
The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks is investigating the incident.
More like this story
- Kansas is 5th state where lottery prizes may have been fixed
- Kansas' criminal forfeiture law, among nation's toughest, faces bipartisan effort to change
- Kansas lawmaker seeks end of privatized foster care system
- Kansas lawmakers seek answers on computer system delays
- Kansas Supreme Court strikes down block grant school funding law