Archive for Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Marx focusing on community

Sieglinde Marx

Sieglinde Marx

March 18, 2009

A few days before Sieglinde Marx was born, her mother went to go see the opera “The Valkyrie” by German opera composer Richard Wagner. She liked the name of the lead female character so much she decided that was going to be her child’s name.

Marx and her family first came to the United States from Germany in the 1950s. She didn’t speak much English when she arrived, but she picked it up quickly.

“By the time I had been here three months I was able to converse and the next year I was good to go.”

Marx began her march into work in the public sector with her bachelor’s degree in political science focusing on the public sector from Washburn University. Later she received a master’s degree in public administration from Kansas University and has taken a variety of graduate level courses in different places including the United States Naval Academy.

Now that she has retired from working with the Department of Veterans Affairs, she wants to focus on the greater good of the community she has lived in for about three years.

“It’s a neat place,” Marx said about Tonganoxie. “Everybody looks out for everybody else. If our neighbors don’t see us for a few days, they call to see if we’re OK. You don’t find that in big cities.”

She believes her years of experience working for the federal government has given her a keen sense on balancing the public’s interest while remaining fiscally responsible, stating that she knows how to count pennies.

“I am a firm believer that when you are spending public money you need to be 100 percent accountable,” Marx said. “It’s not like your money out of your checking account that you can do whatever you want, when you want if you want. This is the public’s money. That’s a whole world of difference. I think it’s very important that you have accountability and I’m not sure that’s happening.”

She also said that she knows it will be impossible to make everybody in the town happy, so she will try to do what is best for everyone and not any particular group.

“You have to do everything above board and be accountable,” she said. “You need to do what is the best for the majority of the population or else you are not doing something right.”

Comments

Trouble 5 years, 1 month ago

Marx Don't sound like she has any special interest. That's good. She not Flying any Flags like Mr Walsh is. She says she wants everything above board and to be accountable. This is what I want to hear in the Candidate that I would vote for. She would be better then Burdel Walsh or Jason Ward. People need not to forget that Jason Ward Voted to sue the People of Tonganoxie for signing the petition on spending money on county Road 1. There were 400 hundred people that wanted a say in this issue, (if the tax money was to go out there.) But no, Jason Ward thought it was not the people choice, it should be the councils. Yes, the judge came back and said it was a policy decision, but still Jason Ward didn't want to listen to 400 hundred people who put him in the council seat. 400 People is about what goes and votes at election from the city limits.. And a Person sitting in a City Council seat is there as a representative for the People. He should listen to the people who put him there as a REPRESENTATIVE!!

Anonymous10 5 years, 1 month ago

Anonymous clearly has agenda for the comment above. The council voted to add the Cty Rd 1 issue to a special election ballot just as the petition requested. A legal decision from a judge was sought because the subject of the petition was generally considered an administrative matter and as such was not a subject sufficient for petition. The judge ruled that the subject matter was administrative and the special election was not held. All annual council budgets are subject to public hearing. That is the forum that residents can use to voice there opinions about administrative subjects. The council was simply following the law.

Trouble 5 years, 1 month ago

I guess this is why I use Trouble as my user name. Anonymos10- The council did not vote to add the Petition to a special election ballot. The Council voted to take it to court and have a judge decide if this was a legal petition. The council felt it was an administrative matter. Anyway All this stuff does not matter. The Council did not want the people to make this decision. I do not know why? It might have passed. But the Council made this decision to ignore the 400 people that signed the petition. Jason Ward and Jim Truesdell are the only two that is left on the council that made this decision to sue the people that they represent. The 400 people that signed the petition will have to decide if Jason Ward is worthy of being a Representative for the People of Tonganoxie.

Anonymous10 5 years, 1 month ago

Trouble-Check your facts and work from the truth. I'm sorry it doesn't make as good of a campaign story.

Trouble 5 years, 1 month ago

Anonymous10- I went back to the papers Oct 25,2006. You are right. The council did vote to put the petition to special ballot. But the council turned around in the same breath and voted to take the petition to court and sue the 400 petitioner. Like I said all that stuff does not matter. The council still sued the 400 petitioners. Jason Ward still has to ask the 400 people if he is worthy of being there Representative for Tonganoxie!! OH I'm not campaigning for city council. Do you want me too?

Anonymous10 5 years ago

Trouble - Thank you for correcting one misrepresentation. You still have some work to do on your second point.

The council's action to seek a legal opinion regarding the validity of the petition only involved the citizens to the extent that they received notice of the matter. No damages were involved. As evidenced by the judge's decision, the council was simply following the law.

straightup 5 years ago

Here is my two cents. Mr. Ward will have to answer to the 400 petitioners. The council or Mr. Ward totally ignore these people. What good would it have been to go to the budget hearing on this issue. The council clearly ignore the 400 petitioner. They did or would have ignored them at the public budget hearing. The council was sending a loud message to the people not to sign another petition.

Justin 5 years ago

I'm glad I stumbled on this blog. I was interested in learning a little about S. Marx before the up coming election. I thought that I might learn more about her from some of the blog comments. Boy was I wrong! The entire blog is apparently about other candidates and their "agendas".

Hey Trouble, it sounds like you sure do have an agenda. Are you a candidate or on the city counsel now?

It's really a shame that you don't have anything to say about the candidate that this article was about and instead choose to bash others.

Trouble 5 years ago

I do have agenda. City Council Stop WASTING MY TAX MONEY!! I'm sick of having to pay these taxes. In the pass decade my taxes has only gone up and up. I moved here in 1991. I'm tried of reading and hearing about what the city is doing or not doing. I have knowledge about the city because I'm part of this community. I read and we go to the local restaurants and we shop here, our kids go to school here. We go to local event. Football, Baseball,Basketball,volleyball games, Parades ,Parent teacher meeting. We talk to our Friends. I'm a part of this community. This is America! Freedom of speech! SO Justin I can and will voice my opinion. I didn't realize my comments made such a impression on you. I did have a comment about this candidate go back up and read it. You don't have to be a candidate or on the city council to voice your opinion. Or do you in this community.