Archive for Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Welsh running for city council

Burdel Welsh

Burdel Welsh

March 18, 2009

Vying for a council seat is a man who has spent more than 30 years protecting and serving the public.

Since coming to Leavenworth County in the late 1970s, Burdel Welsh has had his hands in some kind of law enforcement or crime prevention, serving as an officer at the Leavenworth County Sheriff’s Office, the county’s emergency management director and his current position as police chief at Lake Quivira.

He said what he is bringing to the table is years of experience working as an administrator and department head, adding he knows what it’s like to prepare a budget during tough economic times.

“I understand the stress that local governments are under and their concerns about the future and what tax income may or may not be available,” he said. “With the economic slowdown, things have slowed, but I don’t think we are dead.”

Along with public administration, Welsh has experience running a small business and is currently working toward completing a master’s degree in business administration from the University of Phoenix.

But it’s what he is not bringing with him the he said makes him different.

“I don’t have an agenda that I am bringing to the council,” Welsh said. “A lot of people have a big issue and that is the flag that they are waving. I don’t really have one of those. The closest thing I have is with the economy. We are really facing some economic challenges right now. You have people that will look at the budget and try to balance the costs and expenses and yet keep us moving forward. I have a fear that we would shut down completely if we panic.”

He said that Tonganoxie has been a great place to live and that it’s only going to get better as the access to the town improves.

He believes that the completion of County Road 1 will not only bring greater access and convenience to the people of Tonganoxie, but it could also bring with it greater economic opportunities.

Comments

Trouble 5 years, 1 month ago

Mr Welsh said he don't have an agenda? He is in law enforcement. He already has an agenda! This is his FLAG he is waving. Looks like it is the Police Department and maybe the Fire Departments Candidate! Just like our Mayor? The city has too many people on the council that has special interests. They don't need another one. Sounds like he is telling the good people of Tonganoxie that if they try to look at the budget and try to balance the cost and expenses and yet keep us moving forward. He fears that the city will shut down? Is he saying spend, spend,spend, and don't panic? The City definitely don't need one more City Council that Want to spend our money and raise our Taxes. We need a Council that looks at running the city as efficient as possible and still make Great progress. Sorry, Mr Walsh you don't have my VOTE!! If this is all the Candidates have to offer we are in TROUBLE.

Sissy 5 years, 1 month ago

Burdel Welsh is flying his flag high. He might not want to admit it but he is. I believe it is for the Police Department. He said he don't have a agenda. HA HA.

commonsense 5 years, 1 month ago

It seems as though everytime a person comes along that has experience that could help them, someone is always ready to cut them for being involved. I don't know Mr. Welsh very well but I do know that from his experience that he will look at each idea with an open mind, and what else can we ask of our candidates. Be fair and no pontificating should be our goal.

Sissy 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't believe commonsense has any! If a voter wants to express there views shouldn't they be able to with out someone telling them not to officiate as a pontiff? I don't believe no one is. Mr Welsh has made a point to say that he is not waving a flag and that some other are. By his own words---- it is pointed out that he is waving a Fag!!

Sissy 5 years, 1 month ago

Good luck to Mr. Welsh in this election. At least you have commonsense on your side. I just wish that if you do receive the votes from the citizen of Tonganoxie to win one of the council seat. That you take a different road then what the existing council is doing! Because my opinion they are leading us down the wrong road.

Justin 5 years ago

Trouble, quick question.

You said "The city has too many people on the council that has special interests." You seem to know a lot about the city council members. Are you a candidate or on the council now?

Would you please tell me what council members have these special interests and what they are?

Sissy, you summed it all up with your last post. I think the main problem is that more people should have common sense on their side.

Trouble 5 years ago

Everyone of them have special interests. I have knowledge of the city council and the happenings in the city because I'm part of this community! I live here .You don't have to be a candidate or on the city council to have knowledge. Do you think that the candidates and the city council are the only ones that have any Knowledge in this town? If so this community is in trouble. This is America!! Freedom of speech!! I just give my opinion the way I see it. Sorry if this is not your opinions.

Justin 5 years ago

So just to be clear you said that all of the city council members have special interests, right?

I don't have all of this great knowledge that you have.... that is why I asked you to share it with me.

Could you list them by name and explain what their special interests are so that I can have some knowledge also?