Archive for Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Election draws near

The general election is April 7

The general election is April 7

March 25, 2009

As campaign signs dot several properties in the area, it can mean only one thing: Election Day is near.

In less than a month, races for area city council and school boards will be determined.

The general election will be held Tuesday, April 7, as numerous candidates are vying for seats.

At 7 p.m. Thursday, voters will get a chance to talk with candidates in Tonganoxie City Council and Tonganoxie School Board races. A meet the candidates event will be held at that time at the Tonganoxie VFW Post Home, 901 E. First.

In the City of Tonganoxie, candidates are looking to fill three council seats. Both Jason Ward and Jim Truesdell are running for re-election, while Steve Gumm is not seeking another term.

Joining Ward and Truesdell this election year are Burdel Welsh, Sieglinde Marx and Roger Shilling.

Like the city council race, two Tonganoxie School Board members are seeking to remain with the board past their current terms. Incumbent Kay Smith, as well as Doug Tate, who is running for his first full term, are those two school board candidates. Tate was appointed to his position in 2007 after Bob DeHoff resigned.

Joining Smith in the race for Position 5 is Randy Wager. Dan Hopkins is running unopposed for Position 4, which will be vacated by current board member Darlyn Hansen, who is not seeking re-election.

In the Position 6 race, Tate is joined by Kris Grinter and Tim O’Hagan.

McLouth

In McLouth, a mayoral race and council races will be decided April 7.

Current Mayor Mike Graveman is running against challenger Keith Meador, while Barbara Hasemeier, Robert Smith and Harlan Woodring are challenging current councilmembers Karl Abegg and Kim Perry for their two seats.

In the McLouth School Board races, two candidates are running unopposed, while a third has three candidates.

Jessica Folsom is running unopposed for Position 5, while incumbent Mitch Campbell is running unopposed for Position 6.

Folsom seeks the board position that Leah Bristol currently holds. Bristol will not seek her first full term, as she was appointed to Don Edmonds’ seat Jan. 14, 2007. Edmonds left the board after winning a Jefferson County Commission seat.

The contested race is in Position 4, in which incumbent Doug Walbridge will face challengers Kristi Carlton and John Hart.

Basehor

For Basehor City Council, there are two candidates for mayor — councilmember Terry Hill and council president Iris Dysart. Current Mayor Chris Garcia is not seeking re-election.

In another Basehor City Council race, Dennis Mertz and David K. Breuer are running for the seat of councilmember Keith Seifert, who is not running for re-election.

The Basehor-Linwood School Board has three open positions, but only one is contested.

Richard Zamora, Leigh Ferris and LeRoy Scharnhorst are running for Position 5.

Pat Jeannin currently holds that seat, but is not seeking re-election. Running unopposed for Position 6 is incumbent Gary Johnson and running unopposed for Position 4 is Wynne Coleman.

Comments

tongierosey 5 years ago

I’m not sure how many people will read this but for some people that don’t know who Roger Shilling is I think you need to hear this.

First of all, if Rogers elected, all of us can kiss growth good by. It’s sad to say that but it’s true. Roger is running for city council because he’s been pissed at the city for many years.

Most of you might not recall or even know the city attempted to have Roger clean up the dump he calls a business located west of the library. If you don’t know what I’m talking about take a drive and look at it. This building is located at the southwest corner of Bury and 3rd Streets. It’s an old white building, that has windows broken out, and is crammed full of junk, then take a look around it. Old used water heaters, old used washers and dryers, scrap metal, junk vehicles that haven’t ran in years. This is a public health hazard and he wants to get pissed at the city for trying to do something about it. Who knows what hazardous types of chemicals he has in there or how many gallons of used motor oil he has sitting around or he has dumped on the ground out side of this building.

Then lets more to his store. The main ceiling has been falling down for years, the roof has too many leaks to count. He has crap sitting all over and you can barley make your way through the building. The condition of the building is POOR at best. I personal feel that both of his buildings need to be condemned and stay that way until they are both repaired and are brought up to city code. I’m sure the city would love to do something like this, but I’m sure there afraid of the law suits Roger would bring against them, for attempted to only do their job, and trying to rid this public hazard / Health hazard.

For those of you still wondering where I’m going, here it is. If Roger has this much pride in his business, do you think he’s going to have much more in your city? I can see it now, pot holes in all the roads, water leaks not getting fixed, emergency response being cut. I don’t agree with everything the city has done over the past few years, but we need to look forward and learn from our mistakes. Putting Roger in public office is not our answer. If he wants to run again in a few years, he should at least attempt to show the citizens he has pride in his own business and work on cleaning them up first before he tells the city how fix their problems.

Thanks

Rosey

straightup 5 years ago

This is about Rosey's views. I was wondering why the city was having troubles bring in and keeping business and you just answered the reason why. People like you give this town a bad name and a bad taste in our mouths!! Apparently you do not support the local businesses. That's a sham. It sound like you need to get off your high horse and clean up your own house. People that work hard and try to make a living.. you have to cut down? I did drive by and looked at the location you pointed out and it is not that bad..could use some work.. it's a business. But don't deserve these comments!! My view on people that step up and volunteer to become city leaders or volunteer to do community work has something very special in them. This is why Tonganoxie is a great place to live. But for an Tonganoxie citizen to say something like this is unbelievable. What I do see from Roger Shillings is that he is offing the people of Tonganoxie his time from his family and work to volunteer to be a city leader. We can put our trust in him or not.. but to put this man down like you have is wrong. I'm not saying that I would or would not support him. But you should give him credit for stepping up to the plate and offering the citizens to be a representative for us. The same credit should be given to the other candidates too. Don't be ugly! We should want to encourage people to step up to the plate like all of these candidates are doing!!

Sham on you ROSEY!!!.

Straightup

tongierosey 5 years ago

First of all I want to make this clear; I have a tremendous respect for people that take time out of their lives to attempt to make the city better. I don’t have respect for people that want to run for office on the sole point that they want to fight the city and hit them where it hurts. That’s what we’re seeing here. Tonganoxie is growing, and each and every one of us needs to help move forward.

MY SECOND POINT IS TO LEAD BY EXAMPLE!

A quote from Mr. Shilling;

“If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it,” he said. “That’s what I do unless I can see a return immediately.”

I see that’s how Mr. Shilling works, just look at his buildings. Sometimes you have to look outside the box and make an investment even if you don’t see a return on it immediately. The return can be as simple as improving the way the city looks (example cleaning up buildings and properties, that increases home values around that area, I sure don’t want to live around a junk yard / public health violation)

I’m not being ugly, I’m stating the facts, and the intentions of the city are not to turn Tonganoxie into a “bedroom society”. First of all we need to look at bring in some business, and not more duplexes. A lot of that falls on the builders looking to make a quick buck on houses, then we have to look at the city for allowing them to build all of these duplexes. That just comes down to poor planning (Mr. Shilling you might want to start off working on the planning commission, seeing what you have to say to the Mirror you would serve a much better purpose on the planning commission, then you would on the city council). Or we can look at it this way; look at how many people fought the post office for wanting to move their building (there is no room for expansion at its exiting location, and the way the city’s growing we have to expand government services). Just think how many people would scream and yell if they wanted to build a box store in town. Our downtown is nice but lets look at this way, the only new business that could move into one of these buildings is some sort of mom and pop shops (you can only find so many of these stores around). If you want a big name brand business to move into Tonganoxie, most of them require buildings to be built to their specs. None of these downtown businesses will meet their specs. It’s a catch 22, what are we to do?

Thanks

Rosey

Trouble 5 years ago

Public opinion! You have to Love it. I say put Roger Shilling in a council seat... this is what the city needs. Stop this over indulging and stop spending our tax money.

Rosey - People that throw stones live in a glass houses. "You don't have respect for people that want to run for office on the sole point that they want to fight the city and hit the city where it hurts". Why, the city is hitting us were it hurts our pockets!

You said it - "You can see it Now" Pot holes in all the roads, water leaks not getting fixed. This is going on Now. Rosey!!

Whats wrong with the city tightening there belts? We the public have too! We need to try and take care of what we have. We don't need everything NEW. This is whats wrong with this country. No one want to save. They just want to spend spend spend. How do you know Mr. Shilling does not take pride in his business. Are you in his wallet? Do you know if he can afford to remodel his building? Not everyone has a money tree planted in their back yards. You assume that if people fight the city they have an ax to grind. This man said he has lived here all of his life time. I'm betting that his community means a lot to him or he wound not speak up!

Who are you to tell someone that is running for a elected council seat that he would be better to volunteer in the planning board. Are you the man Mommy!

hello 5 years ago

Personally I think that Mr. Shilling has an ax to grind somewhere with someone. What about the lawsuit with the city? Also he wants the city to be audited does that have anything to do with his own personal audit that is in progress?

kcwood 5 years ago

How do I find out about the council candidates? I was unable to attend Thurs forum. Apparantly this newspaper does not cover the issues. Especially would like to know which candidate supports the banning of commercial vehicles/semi-trucks parked in residential neighborhoods. If I wanted to live at a truck stop I would have moved to Oak Grove, MO.

michael66086 5 years ago

kewood; I thought I would answer your question. The Ordinance is at this time being written. There was an Ordinance passed by the City a few years ago, but was not codified. So now it;s beiing re-written and will be submitted for Council approval. I hope this answers your question.

Ted_W 5 years ago

kcwood (Anonymous) says…

"How do I find out about the council candidates? I was unable to attend Thurs forum. Apparantly this newspaper does not cover the issues."

kcwood, The paper was at the forum. Shawn Linenberger was taking notes and photos, TV6 was also there. The paper publishes once a week so I'm certain the story will be in Wednesday's paper.

About the candidates: City council: My vote is for Truesdell, Ward, and Welsh. Shilling came off as uninformed and having a very large ax to grind. Siegliende Marx wasn't there and was apparently sick. I understand she is a team with shilling.

School Board: My vote is for Wager, Hopkins and Grinter. Wager isn't a member of the NEA, no agenda and honest. Hopkins has no opponent, seemed intelligent and informed. Grinter has no negative history and sounded good. O'Hagan also sounded good, seemed a bit eccentric though (that usually is a warning). Tate seemed to be in over his head. He's been on the board for a year and didn't come off as very intelligent on the issues. Smith is a member of the NEA, an activist and has a big ax to grind.

Trouble 5 years ago

Oh... are we telling who would be the best candidates?

City council: My vote is for Shilling, Marx, third choose I do not no yet. Ward and Trusdell sued over 400 citizens for signing a petition for wanting a say in county road 1. Welsh he comes across as if the city of Tonganoxie needs another Police officer.. he is your man... very uninformed about city issues.

School Board: My vote is for Smith, Tate, Hopkins. Smith and Tate is on the board now and they are doing a very good job.Tate and Smith are very intelligent people and cares about the school district

I Hope this helps!!