Chieftains score 5-3 home win
A day after struggling on the road with a loss at Perry-Lecompton, the Tonganoxie High baseball team bounced back on Tuesday at home for a 5-3 win against Santa Fe Trail.
The Chieftains scored four runs in the first inning and held on for a two-run win despite the Chargers ending up with two more hits (nine) than THS.
Ethan Lorance was 2-for-3 with an RBI for Tonganoxie (12-5). Jon Harris went 2-for-3 with a double and scored a run. Jace Waters drove in two runs and crossed the plate once. Dylan Caywood batted in one run, scored and tripled.
Brandon Yoder threw five innings for the Chieftains, limiting SFTHS to six hits while striking out five.
Rob Schlicht threw two innings of relief work to finish the game.
Tonganoxie closes out its regular season on Wednesday at the Leavenworth County Fairgrounds. First, THS will complete a game with Bishop Ward that was suspended on Thursday in Kansas City, Kan. The game was tied at 6 in extra innings when it was halted. At the conclusion of that contest, the teams will play the final game of the regular season.
More like this story
- Operation WildLife overwhelmed after mild winter, recent storms
- High number of rabies cases reported in Kansas
- The beetle hunter: KU entomologist on quest to identify insects of Peru
- Antler broker flourishes in his Delphos business
- Government organization adopts out 13 horses, burros at Tonganoxie event