Summer Reading is but a few short weeks away and the excitement here at the library is growing. Hands down Summer Reading is the most important and visible program that we offer here at the library each year. We have more than 40 scheduled events and programs this year.
This year we have put a new spin on this much revered program by offering programs that specifically target the following age groups: toddler/preschoolers (1-4), elementary school (5-8), tweens (9-12), and teens (13-18). This year we want to make sure that parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and all the kids in Tonganoxie know that the library is the place to be this summer for fun.
And what could be more fun than this year’s theme: “Be Creative at your Library!” With a variety of artistic workshops we hope that there will be something for everyone.
Our programming goals this year:
• To motivate children to read.
• To develop positive attitudes about reading and books.
• To enable children to maintain their reading skills during summer vacation.
• To encourage regular use of the library.
• To attract new users to the library.
• To offer experiences through which children can learn to work cooperatively
The library’s kick-off event will start at 1 p.m. Tuesday, May 26 and I think that you will all find our scheduled performer Dennis Porter humorous, entertaining, and educational.
More like this story
- Duchess of Cambridge seen wearing hat from Tonganoxie-based clothing company on Christmas Day
- Tonganoxie Community Historical Society wins state technology award
- Technology award for Tonganoxie Community Historical Society
- Property taxes on the rise around Kansas
- Hot (pink) shot for Tonganoxie High golfer