Revolutionary War soldier coming to historical society meeting May 26
A Revolutionary War soldier will be coming to Tonganoxie.
At 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 26 at the Tonganoxie Community Historic Site, 201 W. Washington St., Anna Smith will portray Deborah Samson, Revolutionary War soldier.
Disguised as a man, Massachusetts colonist Deborah Samson joined the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War to fight for independence from England.
Samson was the first known woman to receive a pension for military service, and first known woman lecturer of the 18th century.
The presentation is part of the Tonganoxie Community Historical Society’s monthly meeting.
The public is welcome to attend.
In the May 13 print edition of The Mirror, a story incorrectly read that the meeting was scheduled for May 19.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: FüD for thought
- Accomplished musicians to perform Sunday at First Congregational Church of Tonganoxie
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Simons family selling Tonganoxie Mirror to Ogden Newspapers, Inc.
- The beetle hunter: KU entomologist on quest to identify insects of Peru