Genesis Christian Academy raises $2,500 for inaugural 5K run event
A run and some grub netted Genesis Christian Academy about $2,500.
GCA held its inaugural 5K run May 2 and also offered a breakfast for free-will donations.
The route ran from Tonganoxie Christian Church east on Washington Street, north on Pleasant Street and then west on Fourth Street through downtown and back to the church.
Denise Bixby, GCA administrative assistant, called it an answered prayer that it didn’t rain during the event.
“It was one of those days that all week long it rained and then Saturday morning, the sun came out for an hour and a half,” Bixby said. “We had the run and then it got cloudy. It was very nice and it didn’t rain for that period.”
In the men’s division, overall winner was Kevin Brewer. Jeremy Funk finished second and Ben Edmonds third.
In the women’s division, Carrie Long placed first, Ronda Andrews second and Ally Laney third.
Here is a list of top runners in each age division:
Austin Ettinger, 12 and younger; Ben Beeman, 13-19; no one competed in 20-29; John Beach, 30-39; Jeff Storms, 40-49; LeRoy Andrews, 50-59; Larry Keeler, 60-69.
Bixby said the school plans to make 5K an annual event.
More like this story
- Genesis Christian Academy to remember Andrews with run/walk gathering Tuesday morning at Chieftain Park
- Genesis Christian Academy run/walk is May 1
- Saturday's Genesis Christian Academy fall celebration moving to school because of potential weather
- GCA event in May to be given new name: Ronda's Run 5K
- Genesis kindergarteners graduate May 24; GCA awards night to follow