Lloyd and Margaret Smelser, McLouth, celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary Nov. 8 at Springdale Friends Church with family and friends.
Out-of-town guests included: Robin Cook, California, Mo.; Nellie Duce, Maryville, Mo.; Lisa Jantz, Marilyn Cox, St. Joseph, Mo.; Linda O’Rear, Emporia; Matt and Melissa Freed and family, De Soto; Penny Hughs, Baldwin; Charles Turner, Donna Moore, Topeka; Roy and Jane Baker, Wellsville; Nellie Perry, Oskaloosa; Darrin Jantz and family, Atchison; Jarrod and Mari Sanford, Allison and Leyton, Ottawa; Pastor Bill and Andrea Gritton, Lizzie and Little Bill, Olathe; Mark Smelser, Manhattan; Lee Smelser, Andy Jantz, Beloit; Jason Smelser, Hays; and Sam Smelser, Colby.
• McLouth Church of the Nazarene will play host to this year's community-wide Advent service at 7 p.m. Sunday. This service marks the beginning of the season of Advent, a time of preparation of our hearts, as well as our world, for the coming of Christ, which we celebrate on Christmas Day. Everyone is invited to attend. McLouth Ministerial Alliance will receive a special offering, which will be used to provide food and assistance to individuals and families throughout the coming year.
• Do you have gently used toys that need a new home? Santa Express Toy Fair welcomes donations of gently used items appropriate for boys and girls ages birth to 8. Gift-wrapped boxes are available at the McLouth Public Library and Open Arms Preschool for toy drop-off of gently used or new toys. Donation drop-off ends Monday, Dec. 7.
Santa Express Toy Fair 2009 is scheduled for noon-5 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 9 and 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 10 at the Oskaloosa Public Library. Santa Express allows families in Jefferson County with young children, who may be struggling financially, an opportunity to shop for toys. Parents purchase these toys with non-perishable food items (canned soup, vegetables, etc.). These food items then are donated by the Jefferson County Early Childhood Council to an area food bank for distribution before Christmas.
Pre-registration is required to participate in the Santa Express Toy Fair. To register, contact Karen Wheeles: (785) 213-4481. Pre-registration will guarantee you a 30-minute shopping time on one of the two days listed above. Families must reside in Jefferson County to take part in this program.
— Please submit McLouth Community information, announcements, and upcoming events to Beverly Muzzy: email@example.com or (913) 796-6935
More like this story
- Mature Living: Government: No benefit hike for Social Security next year
- Standard often cited in Kansas pension debates questioned
- Insurance companies say 2014 exchange members older, sicker
- Kansas officials defend pension bonds after Moody's report
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits