Chieftains take 2nd at Spikefest
The Tonganoxie High volleyball team took second place at the De Soto Spikefest on Saturday, going 4-2 in the process.
The Chieftains began the day with some retribution in the form of a win over Basehor-Linwood, who had beat THS handily earlier in the week.
Although THS lost to Central Heights in its next contest, it picked up wins over De Soto and Baldwin to close pool play before defeating Spring Hill in a semifinal.
The Chieftains (14-12) met up with CHHS again in the final and lost. Even though THS didn’t win a game against the tournament’s champions, three of the four sets lost were by just two points — Tonganoxie lost 28-26, 25-23 in pool play and 26-24, 25-15 in the final.
After playing two triangulars this week — Tuesday at Piper and Thursday at Baldwin — Tonganoxie travels to Perry-Lecompton on Saturday for the Kaw Valley League tournament.
Tonganoxie at De Soto Spikefest:
Basehor-Linwood, W, 20-25, 25-17, 25-16
Central Heights, L, 28-26, 25-23
De Soto, W, 25-19, 25-20
Baldwin, W, 25-16, 25-18
Spring Hill, W, 19-25, 25-17, 25-22
Central Heights, L, 26-24, 25-18
More like this story
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Stolen goods from Joyland park found with Louie the Clown
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Tonganoxie box social proves to be lucrative fundraiser
- Linwood man sentenced to nearly a decade in prison for attempted rape, attempted aggravated criminal sodomy