Cross country coach keeps THS at home
The Tonganoxie High cross country team unexpectedly went without competing at an event this past week.
The Chieftains were scheduled to run at the Mill Valley meet on Thursday but a lot of rainfall that day led coach Phil Williams to keep the runners away.
The meet still took place but Williams elected not to participate given the team’s recent struggles with illness.
“We have kids trying to get over being sick, and I didn't think running in those conditions would do us any good,” Williams said. “Plus, there's always an increased chance of injury on a slick course.”
The coach said he had the postseason in mind when he made the decision.
“With league and regional coming up it didn't make any sense to me to put them through that,” Williams said.
On Thursday, the Chieftains will compete in the Kaw Valley League championship races at Mill Valley. On Oct. 24, THS will be one of 15 schools competing for a chance to qualify for state at a Class 4A regional at Wyandotte County Park.
More like this story
- Brownback wants more highway patrol officers
- 3 suspects in custody after high-speed police chase ends in Lawrence
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Police: Woman arrested in battery of police horse in Wichita
- Kansas raises rents on agencies in state office buildings