Archive for Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Councilmember Tom Putthoff submits resignation letter

Councilmember Tom Putthoff and a group of representatives from the cities of Tonganoxie, Lansing and Leavenworth, along with representatives from the Leavenworth County Development Corporation, will lobby for money on improvements along U.S. Highway 24-40 and other county projects.

August 31, 2010

Tonganoxie City Councilman Tom Putthoff has resigned from the council.

Putthoff said he resigned Friday for personal reasons.

“I sent in the resignation,” he said. “I don’t know how they accept it.

“It was an experience I enjoyed. I’ve met a lot of people. I got to do things I would have never got to do if I hadn’t ran for council. It’s just for personal reasons, I resigned.”

Putthoff, who was elected to a four-year term on the council in April 2007, said the council had a record of accomplishment during his three-and-a-half years.

“ I think one of the biggest accomplishments was the purchase of the industrial park land,” he said of the $1.38 million purchase in 2008 of 237 acres near the rebuilt Leavenworth County Road 1. “It’s tough for some people to understand, but for this town to survive, we have to expand the tax base.

“I plan to stay on the industrial park committee. I want to stay active on that.”

Putthoff said another of the council’s accomplishment during his term was the decision to award contracts to local businesses when possible.

“I tried my best to keep business with the contractors in town,” he said. “I still believe in that. If you have a company in Tonganoxie that can do the work, we should in all cost give them the work.”

Mayor Jason Ward said he was sad to learn of Putthoff’s resignation.

“The community means a lot to Tom, and I really appreciate his efforts on the council. He did a great job.”

For the second time since becoming mayor last month, Ward will nominate a person to fill a vacant council seat for the council’s approval. After accepting the position of mayor with Mike Vestal’s resignation, Ward nominated Chris Donnelly to fill his vacant council seat.

“Once again. I’m left with another appointment,” Ward said. “I hope to make a decision again at the next regular council meeting.”

Comments

Old_Vet 3 years, 7 months ago

Tom is a good man. Thanks Tom for serving your community.

straightup 3 years, 7 months ago

No great loss. Putthoff says "If you have a company in town that can do the work, we should in any Cost give them the work" Thinking like that.... we will all be in the poor house! He wasn't serving the community he was serving a few people in town!

straightup 3 years, 7 months ago

teatime 3 years, 7 months ago

Keeping jobs and business in town IS serving the community! It's local businesses that financially support local organizations. Local organizations are critical to our community as well. Gee, people living and working together, hence the word "community." Tom got it.

straightup 3 years, 7 months ago

Not at any cost! Mr. Putthoff didn't get it and you do not get it either! You must be receiving the free hand outs too.

dryaylor 3 years, 7 months ago

Tom Putthoff sounds like all politicians, its my money and I want it now. But its not his money its the taxpayers. All politicians when resigning from office use the old standby I want to spend more time with my family. I wonder if the mayor is going to appoint another banker or someone from the civic club. I think the Mirror would serve the people better if they were a little more inquisitive.

teatime 3 years, 7 months ago

No, not at any or "all" cost. But I really don't think Tom meant it that literal. I think Tom meant the City should do business locally if and when possible. And it should. All cities should give local businesses first consideration.

dryaylor 3 years, 7 months ago

i under stand the city already gives bidders 5% above the regular bid to locally companies one must remember this government not private company would it be ethical to give your friends first Joyce's or legal

teatime 3 years, 7 months ago

If you can't spell, compose a sentence, or finish a thought, you should stay off of here. Come back when you can converse coherently.

dryaylor 3 years, 7 months ago

I didn't know I had a rocket scientist reading my e mail. Hope you got your jollies for the day. Get out of bed with Tom and quit drinking the koolaid.

teatime 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm rolling on the floor, you're so funny. Seriously, a 5% leeway for locals is fair. Can't complain about that. Everyone still needs to be competitive. I don't believe in handouts, but I do believe in giving local businesses an edge. So good for them!

Trouble 3 years, 7 months ago

"teatime" likes being a school yard bully! Doesn't like anyone saying negative things about his/her boys! Sounds like "teatime" belongs with the Good old Boys club. Tonganoxie still old-school or as 'teatime' says TEAM TONGANOXIE!! "Teatime" if you can't handle the heat get out of the kitchen!!

teatime 3 years, 7 months ago

Whose the bully and name caller???????? I'm just voicing my opinion like the rest of you. I didn't realize these posts were supposed to all be one way, negative and radical.

Old_Vet 3 years, 7 months ago

Like I said, Thanks Tom. I too support the encouragement of local businesses when possible. To take Tom's quote literally is probably the least intelligent post on this story. If you don't agree with the city council then find enough support in the community and run for office. Let's see you do better dryalor and straightup.

straightup 3 years, 7 months ago

How should you take Mr.Putthoff quote? Are you saying we shouldn't take his quote literally? Why? Why would he quote something if he didn't want anyone to take it literally? Are you saying he is not a man of his word?

Old_Vet 3 years, 7 months ago

Straightup, If we take your comment above "You must be receiving the free hand outs too." as literal then we'd be just as ill informed as you. Your statement is not literal, it is argumentative, but not a statement that I believe you hold as true. So I'd recommend that you mature a little and accept that Mr. Putthoff has donated time and energy to make Tongie a better community with no personal compensation or gain. A local man that cares about his community enough to serve and by doing so knowingly making himself the target of criticism, both informed and ignorant.