Old-timers from this area will remember William and Maude Somers and their family, who lived southwest of town for many years. He was instrumental in getting the Jarbalo Rural High School built, and all of their nine children graduated from there.
There are only two of the Somers family left. They are Lois Somers Schwinn of Tahlequah, Okla., and Wanda Chauvin of Blue Springs, Miss.
Lois and her daughter and son-in-law Sandra and Leon French live in a retirement center in Tahlequah. Recently, several relatives went to visit them. Those who went were Rita Carter and Trella Anderson of Topeka, Wanda Chauvin and Karen High of Blue Springs, Miss., Linda Stuart of Hot Springs Village, Ark., Sandy Denholm of Tonganoxie and others. Lois was 94 years old on Dec. 19. Very recent word is that Lois fell and fractured a hip.
Dave and Jane Turner attended a wedding reception for Jeff and Shelly Asher Saturday evening. Jeff and Shelly were married in St. Thomas on Nov. 17.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Face to Face: Helzberg Diamonds' Amanda J. McLaughlin
- Kansas City Connection: Ugly sweaters, Legos for adults and KU basketball at the Sprint Center
- Tonganoxie football blanks Bishop Ward, 42-0
- Kansas City Connection: Don't be a stranger to this pie social