Blazes claim one home, cause $5,000 damage to another during holiday weekend
Fires broke out at two Tonganoxie residences during the holiday weekend.
Tonganoxie City firefighters responded to a fire just after 3 p.m. Saturday in the 100 block of East Fourth Street.
Fire Chief Dave Bennett said about the house: “It’s pretty much a total loss.”
Bennett’s department requested assistance from Stranger and Tonganoxie township fire departments to fight the fire. No one was in the home when the fire started, Bennett said.
He said the blaze has been determined an accidental fire, possibly started by a space heater or a cigarette.
The American Red Cross has been assisting the family, Bennett said, while Tonganoxie police provided traffic control.
Just before midnight Monday morning, firefighters were called to another house fire.
Bennett said it was an electrical fire that started in the kitchen of a home in 100 block of Third Street. He said damage was estimated at $5,000. He said a couple was in the house at the time of the fire, but their daughter had returned to the home that night and discovered the fire. She woke up her parents and the fire department was contacted, Bennett said.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High girls can't get past Piper in substate title game
- Tonganoxie football bid to knock off undefeated Atchison falls short
- Proof positive for Tonganoxie High soccer as team ties nationally ranked St. Thomas Aquinas
- Piper boys end Tonganoxie's season at PHS
- Piper High snaps Chieftain girls' winning streak