Archive for Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Remember When: A community review

December 28, 2010

10 years ago: Dec. 13, 2000

Deaths: Roy A. Ambrose, 79, Connersville, Ind., died Dec. 7, 2000; Leslie Ann Coldsmith, Parker, Colo., died Dec. 9, 2000; Timmothy C. Cummings, Sr., 46, Platte City, Mo., died Dec. 6, 2000; Archie William Dearinger, 79, Basehor, died Dec. 6, 2000; Esther Mae Kemler Lohman, 78, Grandview, Wash., died Dec. 11, 2000; Laura T. Smith, 63, died Dec. 6, 2000, in Tonganoxie; Johnnie Edward Tucking, 89, Tonganoxie, died Dec. 6, 2000.

(Caption beside picture) McLouth kindergartners constructed gingerbread houses on Friday. At left, Rachel Scrivner puts the final decoration on a house she built with her mother, Elizabeth Little (Paula Shelton, school librarian, planned the event and invited parents, grandparents and friends to come to school to help the students).

Pretty as a picture: Anyone who has “cared enough to send the very best” may have mailed a greeting card that featured Riley Vogel, a 12-year-old Tonganoxie girl. When Kelly Vogel, Riley’s mother, worked for Hallmark and needed a young face to photograph, she fixed her eye on her daughter, a raven-haired, brown-eyed girl. (Shown were two cards that featured Riley as a small girl, one with her cousin, Sean Shaffer.)

Jarbalo Jottings: I (Thamar Barnett) have a new great-granddaughter, Taylor Michelle, daughter of Loren Barnett and Kersten Bergman of Leavenworth.

25 years ago: Dec. 11, 1985

Deaths: Larry Austin Myers, 58, Tonganoxie, died Nov. 25, 1985, at his home; Lester W. (Pete) Baird, 80, Tonganoxie, died Nov. 23, 1985.

Seven students from Tonganoxie High School participated Dec. 7 with more than 1,000 students from northeast Kansas in the Kansas Music Educator’s Association District 1 Honors Concert. The concert included area choir, band and orchestra students, with Ken Crute, Shegale Crute, Tim Dykes, Kelly Miller, Shale Morris, Loralee Stevens and Kim Stratton all representing THS in the mass choir. At the event, results of auditions for Festival Honors Choir were announced. Out of more than 400 who auditioned, Kim Stratton, a senior at THS, and Ken Crute, a junior, each ranked high to earn their positions in the highest level KMEA Choir. The two will perform at the state convention Feb. 21-22 in Wichita.

Mildred McMillon was elected to fill the office of Worthy Matron, and her husband, Pete McMillon will be the Worthy Patron for Rinda Chapter No. 82 of the Eastern Star for 1986. (At the Christmas party meeting, there was to be a consolidation with the McLouth Chapter, Alcione, with the Tonganoxie Rinda No. 82 Chapter.)

50 years ago: Dec. 29, 1960

Births: Mr. and Mrs. Walter Parmer, Jr., of Lawrence, announce the birth of their son, William Jay, Dec. 26, 1960.

Death: Mrs. Minnie Belle Stewart, 91, Bellflower, Calif., passed away Dec. 27, 1960.

Jan. 2 should be George Seufert Day. It is his 96th birthday. He was born in Lancaster, N.Y., and moved to Kansas when he was 2 years old, and has lived in Tonganoxie 76 years. How about a few cards for Tonga’s oldest citizen?

Between 150 and 160 chinchillas died in a fire Christmas Eve at the home of Ernest Korb. The small animals, used to make coats, were valued at $13,000. Cause of the fire is unknown. It was reported by Joe Doege.

Jarbalo Community: Spc. and Mrs. Clyde Bray and daughters, Baumholder, Germany, arrived Friday night by plane, being called here by the death of her father.

75 years ago: Dec. 5, 1935

Deaths: C.J. Todd, aged farmer, was struck and killed by a car Sunday afternoon about 4:30; Mrs. Rachel Baldwin, aged 92, Boise, Idaho, died Tuesday night at her home, following a short illness. She was the mother of Mrs. M. L. Anderson.

A log cabin built by Edward Otto Jr., on the Lee Bond farm west of Tonganoxie, burned Saturday. Mr. and Mrs. Otto lost all their clothing and possessions and Mrs. Otto and the son were somewhat burned.

Births: Mr. and Mrs. Ernie Elston, a son, Donald Wayne, born Nov. 27, and Mr. and Mrs. Joe Larkin, a daughter, Rose Mary,

Easton: The old covered bridge across Big Stranger creek at Easton soon will be only an early-day memory to Leavenworth County residents. It is now being torn down by a group of men employed by the county and the lumber taken to Leavenworth to be used in the erection of a county tool house on the east of the county jail. This covered bridge has stood firmly in floods that took Big Stranger out of the banks, and covered the surrounding country, including streets in part of Easton.

100 years ago: Dec. 15, 1910

The football game played by the Kansas University eleven made the athletic fund a profit of $11,491 this season.

They are going to put up another huge building in New York, this time one of 46 stories. Daylight will be at a premium on the Manhattan street level.

Paris, France: M. Legagnaux ascended from the aviation field here and broke the world’s record for altitude. He reached a height of 10,499 feet.

Old Resident Dies: Mrs. Kean Langford died at her home three miles northeast of town Saturday morning shortly before seven o’clock of heart failure and old age, in the 83rd year of her age.

Mrs. Peirce No More: Mrs. Ann Peirce, a former Tonganoxie resident and mother of Mayor Peirce, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Benson, at Lawrence, Friday morning, lacking but twelve days of being 86 years old.

For 236 hours a mad stone adhered to the arm of Mrs. R. H. Southard of Neely, who had one applied in Missouri to counteract a supposed inoculation from a mad dog. (The dog had bitten other dogs and a hog that later died and saliva had gotten on a scratch on Mrs. Southard’s finger. Lillie Southard got a scratch at the same time.) The dog was later found dead and the two women immediately went to Missouri where Mrs. Southard’s brother-in-law has a madstone. It had been in the family more than 100 years and has been used many times. Its adherence to Mrs. Southard for 236 hours broke all records for time. It adhered 20 hours at one stretch. When the stone falls off it is soaked in tepid water for awhile to cleanse it. The madstone adhered to Miss Southard for eight or ten hours. The women returned home more than a week ago.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.