Leavenworth police investigating shooting of 17-year-old Coffeyville resident
Leavenworth police officers are investigating a Tuesday night shooting that injured a 17-year-old boy in the 500 block of Chestnut Street.
At about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday, someone fired about 10 rounds into an apartment window while six people were inside, ranging in age from 12 to 21 years old, Leavenworth Police Maj. Robert Smith said.
A 17-year-old Coffeyville resident was shot three times, and was transported to a Kansas City area hospital, where he is in stable condition, and his injuries are not considered life-threatening, Smith said. No one else was injured, and police are still looking for possible suspects or motives in the crime.
The window to the apartment was covered, so police don't believe the shooter or shooters had a specific target in mind, Smith said.
More like this story
- Rough weather hits southwest Kansas, at least 1 tornado
- Former Shawnee music teacher charged with molestation missing from house arrest
- 2 Kansas school districts to close early because of budgets
- Tonganoxie police investigating sexual assault case involving 13-year-old
- Officials fear Kansas is complacent about tornado season