THS girls drop 3rd straight
Though the Tonganoxie High girls basketball team played better than it had of late, free-throw misses and a lack of rebounding cost the team in a 48-40 home loss to Bishop Ward Monday night.
Coming off consecutive double-digit home losses, the Chieftains kept things closer against the Cyclones, but hit just six of 15 free-throw attempts and were outrebounded 36-20.
Down just six entering the fourth quarter, THS coach Randy Kraft said his team wasn’t out of it, despite major disadvantages in a couple statistical categories.
“We had our chances there late,” Kraft said. “We just didn’t get it done.”
Tonganoxie (5-9 overall, 3-4 Kaw Valley League) was able to stay in the mix because of its defense.
“We played pretty well tonight,” Kraft said.
Freshman Jenny Whitledge led the team with 19 points and senior Andie Jeannin scored seven.
The loss was the Chieftains’ third straight and fourth consecutive KVL setback.
They are on the road Tuesday for a 6 p.m. tip at Bonner Springs.
Score by quarters
Ward 12 13 12 11 - 48
THS 11 12 8 9 - 40
Andie Jeannin 7, Lauren Hall 5, Danielle Miller 2, Jenny Whitledge 19, Hannah Kemp 5, Haley Smith 2.
More like this story
- 8 years after tornado, Greensburg to have theater again
- Frese: Push for Tonganoxie Public Libary expansion starts with Saturday run
- Kansas schools, colleges, hospitals would feel sting of cuts
- Creating a family: Agency seeks more foster families; greatest need in Wyandotte County
- Tonganoxie City Council candidate: Charles (Tuna) Conrad