Our “youngest lady” in the area will be 98 years old Tuesday, Feb. 23. She is Bid Sheppard. Let’s give her a birthday card shower. Her address is 21452 Dempsey Rd. Leavenworth 66048.
Bob and Sara Aufdemberge of Auburn were supper guests of Bid Sheppard on Saturday.
David and Jane Turner were guests of Tim and Kelly Kouns on Saturday.
When we had the blizzard around Christmas and a lot of people were snowbound, I mentioned to my kids that in high school (a long, long time go), we had to read in a literature class the poem “Snowbound” by John Greenleaf Whittier. We had to memorize a small portion of the poem.
Tammy Mooberry got on the Internet and found the poem and made me a copy. It is a lot longer poem than I remembered.
Here is the part we had to memorize:
Shut in from all the world without,
We sat the clean-winged hearth about
Content to let the north wind roar
In baffled rage at pane and door.
While the red logs before us beat
The frost-line back with tropic heat
And ever, when a louder blast
Shook beam and rafter as it passed
The merrier up its roaring draught
The great throat of the chimney laughed.
More like this story
- Reno County spending money to keep jail smelling good
- Grass fires commonplace in recent days in Tonganoxie area
- Kansas Senate approves concealed carry of guns without training or permit
- Kansas closer to allowing concealed carry with no permit
- State creates quarantine zone for bird flu in rural Leavenworth, Wyandotte counties