Neighbors: Dana Slawson Splichal
Occupation: I work at Kramer & Associates CPAs, and participate in auditing various governmental agencies, non-profit organizations and construction companies.
Family: I live in rural Tonganoxie with my husband Daryn, and two boys, Devyn and Gavin.
Place of birth: Kansas City, Kan.
When did you move to Tonganoxie, and what brought you here?
My parents brought me home from the hospital to Tonganoxie. We moved away but eventually found our way back here when I began the fifth grade. I moved away again after high school and made the decision to come home after our son was born to be close to family.
What’s the biggest risk you’ve ever taken?
Moving back to Kansas was a huge risk that my husband and I took. We made the decision to move while I was pregnant with our first son and moved from Texas when Devyn was one month old. Neither one of us had jobs. Luckily, one of the job prospects Daryn had came through and I was able to stay home with Devyn until he was six months old.
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
It’s a bit of a cliché, but “stay in school” was one of the best pieces of advice I’ve been given. I struggled through college because I couldn’t make up my mind about what I wanted to be when I grew up and attended several different colleges until deciding on accounting. Once I made up my mind, I was able to complete my bachelors and masters degrees at the University of North Texas.
What three things would you want people to know about you?
- I am currently studying to become a CPA and hope that 2010 is my year; 2. I am a scrapbook junkie; 3. I begin and end each day with hugs, kisses and high-fives from my boys.
What did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to sky dive and that led to wanting to be a pilot. Professional pilot was my first major in college, however I decided it was more of a hobby for me than a career.
For more , go to tonganoxiemirror.com.
What’s your ideal vacation spot?
Even though I enjoy the snow, I’d love to be sitting on a beach in Hawaii right now.
Song: Currently, it is “Sweet Home Alabama” by Kid Rock.
Food: A nice juicy steak.
More like this story
- Kansas governor signs nation's 1st ban on abortion procedure
- Tonganoxie box social proves to be lucrative fundraiser
- Judge blocks Kansas' ban on 2nd-trimester abortion procedure
- Kansas City streetcar construction to finish this fall
- Tonganoxie City Council eyes former post office, to have public forum on police station July 13