Defense helps EHS girls win by 25
The Eudora High girls basketball team used defensive pressure to rout Atchison, 58-33, on Thursday in the consolation bracket of the Tonganoxie Invitational.
Eudora (4-6) stole the ball 14 times from Atchison (1-8), who committed 20 total turnovers.
Cardinals Evan Folks and Hannah Kouri had three steals apiece, while Shea Lounsbury and Victoria Lehmann each had two takeaways.
Even when AHS didn’t turn the ball over, Eudora’s defense forced difficult shots and Atchison shot just 27 percent from the floor, going 13-for-48.
The Cardinals made only 37 percent of their shots, but were stellar at the foul line, converting 19 of 23 free throws.
Folks led EHS with 14 points and Sydney Schmille and Lounsbury added nine apiece.
Next up for Eudora at the Tonganoxie Invitational is the fifth-place game against De Soto, which will be played on Saturday at 10 a.m.
Score by quarters
Atchison 10 8 8 7 - 33
Eudora 18 14 16 10 - 58
Jennifer Bowser 3-9 1-1 7, Evan Folks 4-10 3-3 14, Sydney Schmille 3-8 3-3 9, Shea Lounsbury 3-8 3-4 9, Victoria Lehmann 0-2 5-6 5, Hannah Kouri 3-7 0-0 6, Katie Slavin 1-3 0-0 2, Ashlyn Jackson 0-0 2-2 2, Tanessa Balluch 0-1 2-2 2, Beverly Virtue 1-1 0-0 2.
More like this story
- Legislators pledge to join Tonganoxie fight against Tyson plant
- Kansas AG obtains order to protect funding for state courts
- Kansas' criminal forfeiture law, among nation's toughest, faces bipartisan effort to change
- Kansas raises rents on agencies in state office buildings
- Kansas senator seeks to end daylight saving time