Education foundations assists 112 USD 464 teachers
The USD 464 Education Foundation is assisting 12 teachers with grants, thanks to additional help from various businesses.
This spring, the USD 464 Education Foundation Board of Trustees approved funding for all 12 applicants from the school district.
The foundation’s budget normally provides about $1,000 for grants each semester, but additional money had been set aside this spring and more funds were available because of alumni donations. Initially, four grant requests were approved. But foundation board members, after more discussion, provided funding from their respective businesses. The final result: all grant requests were fulfilled for a total of about $5,150.
“In my six or seven years on the board, I have never seen anything like this,” said Ken Mark, foundation board chairman. “Normally there are approximately six grant proposals submitted each semester.”
Mark also said the foundation normally funded a portion and the school district covered the rest.
But, with tighter budgets and more teachers submitting proposals, Mark said the board wanted to find a way to approve all requests.
“This is a reminder to me of how wonderful our community is,” Mark said. “I applaud our board members and their companies for going above and beyond in support of our teachers and schools.”
USD 464 District Superintendent Kyle Hayden called the foundation board’s action “very impressive.”
The Tonganoxie USD 464 Education Foundation was established to raise funds to foster, promote and encourage the furthering of public education in USD 464 through community involvement and financial support. Current foundation board members are Bill Altman, Community National Bank; John Evans II, Evans Insurance; Chris Gratton, Kansas Heavy Equipment; Debbie Krivjansky, First State Bank and Trust; Ken Mark, Kansas City Kansas Community College; Ben Robbins, Robbins Acquisitions; and Jilinda White, First State Bank and Trust.
Here is the list of grant applications funded through the foundation:
• Deborah Holloway, TMS Talk to Me Electronic Portfolios.
• Pam Lamb, THS The Flip “Record Connect Share.”
• Nancy Patton, TES Interactive Technology.
• Krystal Robbins, TES kiln fundraising.
Grant applications funded by local businesses:
• David Langton, THS Growing Together, Community National Bank, Bill Altman.
• Christine Biel, THS Science Enrichment, Lawrence Dental Center.
• Patrick Wakeman, Greening of THS, Kansas Heavy Construction.
• Ursula Kissinger, TES Photographic Documentation, Kansas Heavy Construction.
• Denise Smith, TES Making Reading a Snap, Kansas Heavy Construction.
• Kristin Barnes, TES Encouraging Math Involvement, First State Bank and Trust.
• Chris Baska, TES Books for Book Room, Robbins Acquisitions, Ben Robbins.
• Karen Stockman, TES State Assessment Math Tool Kits, Midwest Carpet Center, Finney Robbins.
For more information about the foundation, contact the Board of Education office at (913) 845-2153 or at P.O. Box 199, Tonganoxie 66086-0199. On the web, go to tong464.org and click on the USD 464 alumni page.