Wizards’ Nielsen an all-star
Kansas City Wizards goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen is a 2010 Major League Soccer All-Star, the league announced Tuesday.
Nielsen was one of seven players added to the list of 2010 All-Star selections on an inactive basis ahead of Wednesday’s AT&T All-Star Game against Manchester United.
"He definitely deserves it," Wizards coach Peter Vermes said. "He's been big-time for us all season long, and I really thought he should have been on the 23-man gameday roster."
The Danish veteran is tied for fourth in MLS in both saves (51) and shutouts (6), and has received four NAPA Save of the Week honors in 2010. No other MLS goalkeeper has won the award multiple times.
The seven inactive members of the 2010 All-Star team were those candidates with the next highest combined voting at their positions. Nielsen, a fan favorite who is commonly referred to by his “White Puma” nickname, led all MLS players in fan voting which was worth 25 percent of the weighted voting system. Players, coaches, general managers and media comprised the remaining 75 percent of the voting method.
Nielsen was signed by Kansas City prior to the 2010 season and is one of only two 2010 All-Stars to earn the honor in their first season of MLS action, along with New York’s Joel Lindpere.
Nielsen started and recorded three saves against Manchester United on Sunday in Kansas City’s 2-1 upset of the English powerhouse in front of 52,424 at Arrowhead Stadium, a new record for soccer attendance in Mid-America.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie school nurse Heather DeMaranville
- New LMH oncologist joins hospital with background in research, goals for patient care
- LMH Breast Risk Assessment Clinic helps identify cancer risks
- Audit: Replacing school nurses with aides saves money
- Kansas fantasy writer's penchant for the unexpected appeals to international audiences