Tonganoxie team gearing up for Relay for Life
A Tonganoxie team will be participating in the Relay For Life of Shawnee and Lenexa event June 18 and 19 at Swarner Park, 63rd Street and Lackman Road in Shawnee.
The team will be walking for Gabe Putthoff, who is the 5-year-old grandson of John and Pam Putthoff of Tonganoxie. Gabe also is the son of Josh and Trisha Putthoff. Josh is a 1996 Tonganoxie High School graduate.
Trisha spoke at last year’s Relay for Life event at a time when Gabe’s cancer, neuroblastoma, was in remission, but it has since relapsed.
Gabe was diagnosed with Stage 4 neuroblastoma at the age of 2 in 2007. He is 5 now and has since relapsed. Due to the severity of relapsed neuroblastoma, he qualified for a trial treatment in California and went there in January.
Because this was a trial, the family’s insurance did not cover it. Gabe now is in treatment at Children’s Mercy Hospital.
For more information on Team Gabe, or to donate, go to main.acsevents.org/goto/teamgabe2. In addition, there is a Caring Bridge page set up for Gabe: caringbridge.org/visit/gabeputthoff.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Fourth of July fireworks, folk art at the Nelson
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Kansas City Connection: Tour spotlights how things are growing in urban gardens, farms
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits