Archive for Wednesday, June 23, 2010

To the editor: Outdated THS science labs disappointing to former student

June 23, 2010

I was recently informed that Patrick Wakeman resigned as the college biology teacher at THS. This shouldn't be surprising, because Mr. Wakeman has been teaching biology for quite awhile. But this did invoke some serious emotion in me because that man was instrumental in inspiring me to pursue the career that I am. It was even more upsetting to read that this great educator cited inadequate facilities as partial reasoning.

That being said, I am typing this from Pittsburgh, Pa., where I attend one of the most renowned research universities in the world. Needless to say, as a molecular biology major, I spend quite a bit of time in science labs, both learning and working. If there is one thing that I have discovered, it is that the lab facilities at THS are pathetically outdated. The learning curve that I had with laboratory equipment compared to other students my first semester was nothing short of embarrassing.

In the world in which we live, where science is advancing all the time, I would assume that a school would want to provide students with the tools necessary for success in science. That is why it confused me so when, out of the millions of dollars spent to expand the district's facilities, not a single new science lab was built in THS. In fact, the only chemistry lab (when I graduated there were two different chemistry teachers) was moved back to the same facilities that it occupied in the 1960s.

Thomas Dohle

Pittsburgh, PA

Comments

Bob_Busk 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm calling BS on the above story. No name? No identity? Riiiggghhhhtttt.

Nothing to read in the letter to the editor, move along.

tadohle 4 years, 5 months ago

The name of the author is clearly posted beneath the article. I'm calling BS on your intelligence.

Maulth 4 years, 5 months ago

It's so cute, it's like THE BIG BOLD LETTERS AT THE BOTTOM have no contribution to the article whatsoever. I mean, who signs their articles at the bottom anymore? Totally not with the times. And obviously Bobby boy up there goes to THS, so he'd know exactly how state-of-the-art the science labs are, and how they are constantly being updated, maintained, and funded. He also MUST go to Pittsburgh, PA and is probably graduating with honors on some crazy major like Molecular biology, and living in science labs. Sounds like our Bobby.

/sarcasm

With that being said, I can personally vouch for this article, as I am also a former THS student, although I only took one class that involved lab(s), but relied on them heavily as a fundamental tool of teaching/learning, also since I've visited Pittsburgh, PA, and stayed with the author as he was taking classes.

Good article TJ. Mrs. Willson would be proud =D

katblu 4 years, 5 months ago

Bob,Bob,Bob......looking silly again!

mldmsd 4 years, 5 months ago

Bob, get a life bubba. You seem angry about alot of things. Try keeping yourself a little busier, then your thoughts won't do what they normally do.

Bob_Busk 4 years, 5 months ago

Girls, It wasn't there originally. It was updated after I pointed it out.

The writer of the letter is a whiner, it was the good citizens of Tonganoxie that approved the bond issue to pay for the upgrades and new Middle School. If all of you had been active, if all of you had been informed you might have brought this issue up. Where were you? Dohh.

So the lesson is get involved or what you say is worthless. Ms. Drohles article is silly and whiney at best.

Chris McGhee 4 years, 5 months ago

Really Bob? If someone "informed" "might have brought this issue up", there would have been something done about it? It has been 24 years since my last class with Mr. Wakeman....24 years and he still deserves to be called Mister. I will bet the bank that Mr. Wakeman brought this issue up. I will also bet the bank that Mr. Wakeman has a higher intelligence level than the decision makers combined. The "good citizens of Tonganoxie" approved a bond issue to pay for upgrades that I'm sure they believed included Science. It is a shame they did not get what they paid for.

aprildohle 4 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps a tour of the high school will remove any doubt about current science facilities.

Thank you once again to Mr. Wakeman and Mr. Lewis for sharing your love of science with our son and influencing his decision to pursue a career in medicine.