Archive for Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bill regulating medical gas systems passes House, moves on to Senate

Incident involving Austin Stone prompts proposals

Brandon Parker, Tonganoxie High School athletics director, congratulates Austin Stone for getting his diploma. Stone, who is now blind after complications arose from medical gas he received while having his wisdom teeth removed in March, was helped through the stage at Tonganoxie High School by his dad Lance Stone.

Brandon Parker, Tonganoxie High School athletics director, congratulates Austin Stone for getting his diploma. Stone, who is now blind after complications arose from medical gas he received while having his wisdom teeth removed in March, was helped through the stage at Tonganoxie High School by his dad Lance Stone.

March 24, 2010

— The Kansas House on Tuesday approved a bill aimed at regulating the installation of medical gas systems, which was prompted by a 2009 incident in Lawrence that seriously injured a Tonganoxie teen.

Last March, Austin Stone was hospitalized after complications arose from medical gas he received while having his wisdom teeth removed. The incident left him blind, hard of hearing and has caused problems with his speech.

The incident occurred at a dental surgery center in Lawrence operated by Dr. S. Kirk Vincent at 4811 Bob Billings Parkway. In a letter to the city, Dr. Vincent said the incident was caused by improper installation of the medical gas lines.

The House bill would require that repairs, maintenance and inspection of medical gas piping systems be done by a person that is licensed under the relevant city and county ordinances. The measure, approved 90-32, goes to the Senate for consideration.

Comments

showinquarters 4 years ago

This is great! I hope that it passes through quickly so that no one else has to go through what Austin and his family have endured!

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.