Orphan Train lecture
Author and journalist Andrea Warren will present a program entitled “Riding The Orphan Trains” at the upcoming Tonganoxie Community Historical Society meeting.
Warren has authored 10 books, two of which were about the orphan trains. The Orphan Train Movement took place between 1854 and 1929 as more than 200,000 children were shipped west on trains in hopes of finding permanent homes and families to adopt or take care of them.
A former middle and high school teacher, college instructor, magazine editor and newspaper reporter, Warren has worked as a freelance journalist and author for 20 years. The event will start at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Tonganoxie Community Historic Site, 201 W. Washington St. Admission is free. For more information, call (913) 845-2852.
More like this story
- Former Tonganoxie City Council member receives certificate for municipal courses
- Lawrence Memorial plans for Tonganoxie office expansion later this year
- Tonganoxie City Council denies church request in Urban Hess, cites zoning regulations
- Lawrence Memorial Hospital accepting grant applications for local wellness projects
- Tonganoxie Mayor candidate questionnaire: Jason Ward