Leavenworth officer shoots, kills armed man
A Leavenworth police officer shot and killed an armed man outside a grocery store Saturday afternoon after the man fired at him, police said.
Reginald Jones, 42, of Leavenworth also had pointed his handgun at two people at the Country Mart grocery store at 20th and Spruce streets, Police Chief Patrick Kitchens told the Kansas City Star.
The officer, a 26-year Leavenworth police veteran, will be reassigned to other duties while the shooting is investigated by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation, Kitchens said.
Witnesses said they saw Jones walking across a parking lot about 2:15 p.m., waving a small handgun.
The officer arrived and confronted Jones, who fired multiple shots at the officer, missing him, Kitchens said.
The officer then fired two .40-caliber rounds from his sidearm, witnesses said. One shot blew out a tire of a parked trailer and the second struck Jones.
The last time a Leavenworth police officer was involved in a shooting was 1995, Kitchens said.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie City Council gives final approval for 2016 budget
- Tonganoxie City Council approves Mayor Ward's appointments
- Tonganoxie City Council to consider police station, other facilities
- Tonganoxie City Council OKs proposed 2016 budget
- Tonganoxie City Council eyes former post office, to have public forum on police station July 13