Tonganoxie school board member suggests future goal setting
Tonganoxie School Board member Kathy Baragary would like to see the board revisit discussion of goals it has for the district.
Baragary brought up the suggestion during debriefing, to which Superintendent Kyle Hayden said revisiting the board’s mission statement could be a starting point for discussion.
Earlier in the meeting, Baragary reported on the Kansas Association of School Boards Listening Tour she attended Oct. 19 in Kansas City, Kan.
Those in attendance broke into groups and discussed various topics. Included in Baragary’s group were educators, a PTA president and state board member Janet Waugh, among others.
Some of the topics and opinions discussed:
• Science curriculum in Kansas needed to step up.
• Preparing students for whatever they choose, whether it be college or a trade career.
• All-day kindergarten is important and educators shouldn’t teach to the test. Baragary said “Nobody in the whole room liked it, No Child Left Behind.”
• Some districts have tax credits for community involvement.
• Tenure. She said tenure after three years “was a sore spot” with many in attendance.
Baragary said Tonganoxie was one of only two districts represented at the event that didn’t offer community event thanking local businesses and advertising what the district does, such as a breakfast as a lunch. Baragary noted individual groups, such as FFA, have an appreciation breakfast and she said Team Tongie is an “awesome thing.” But she thought there might be another opportunity for the district to show its appreciation to the community and also advertise itself.
Board members were receptive to discussing goals, as well as topics discussed at the event.
More like this story
- Postseason begins today for some Tonganoxie High teams
- THS golf finishes 4th at Hayden Invitational; schedules change again for Chieftain baseball, soccer
- Tonganoxie High soccer opens 4-1A regionals as No. 4 seed
- Tonganoxie High wrestlers nab 2nd at Wamego Invitational
- A perfect 10 for Tonganoxie High wrestlers