New England knocks Wizards out of playoff contention
The Kansas City Wizards suffered a 1-0 loss at New England on Saturday, ending their playoff chances with one game remaining in the 2010 regular season.
Kansas City, in third place in the Eastern Conference, will play its season finale at home next Saturday against the San Jose Earthquakes at CommunityAmerica Ballpark.
Revolution captain Shalrie Joseph scored the game’s only goal in the 31st minute to give New England the victory in their home finale on Saturday at Gillette Stadium. Revolution defender Chris Tierney played a long ball forward for Joseph to head past onrushing Wizards goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen.
Kansas City created no shortage of scoring chances throughout the match, but Revolution goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth made four saves in earning his first career shutout and New England’s first clean sheet in two months.
The Revolution, who moved into a tie for fifth place in the East with the victory, earned their first win in the last seven meetings with the Wizards, dating back to 2008.
More like this story
- Mayors for Meals in Tonganoxie
- Kansas man driving combine leads law enforcement on chase
- Tonganoxie sales tax mail-in ballot question coming this winter
- New Leavenworth County Annex opens in Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie City Council revokes interlocal agreement following AG opinion; work session, liquor license approved; brush dump site discussed