2011 Candidate Questionnaire: Tonganoxie School Board candidate Kathy Baragary
Name: Kathy Baragary
Family: husband-Bill son-Austin (19) daughter-Jody (15)
Current employment: Peruvian Connection
Education: Bachelor's degree in home economics from Kansas State University
Number of years lived in community: 22
Previous public offices held: none
Community involvement: Currently 4-H. Previously PTA, Elementary School Site Council, School Volunteer,
What made you decide to run for office? I am excited about the Bond issue that is on the ballot, and seeing it through to the finished product is important to me.
What special qualifications would you bring to this office?
I believe in the Tonganoxie Schools, the community and most important, the kids.
How do you plan to familiarize yourself with the issues that come before the board? Luckily, the communications received from the State Board keeps all of the Board Members informed on issues, not only locally, but statewide. Communication, talking and listening is also important.
How do you plan stay in touch with constituents if you are elected?
Making myself available and listening.
Describe what you see as the main role of a school board member.
The education of our children and decisions that apply to the best possible education is what the main role of a School Board member should be.
What is the best attribute of our school district and why?
We have some incredible teachers in our district that love what they do. I also feel that we have a strong Parent base, which make our kids very fortunate kids.
What are the most important issues facing the school district and how would you confront them?
• Money — as a district we will have to continue to be aware of the money coming in and how it is spent.
• No Child Left Behind — I'm open to suggestions on how to resolve this issue. It is being addressed, but whenever I get the chance I do voice my opinion.
Do you think public schools are adequately funded? Why or why not?
Absolutely not. That being said, I know that times are tight if the schools got all the money, another program would suffer.
What areas of the budget would you target for spending cuts if necessary?
Extra curricular activities and field trips to start, after those two, it's tough.
Are the district's teachers being compensated fairly?
I don't believe that teachers are paid enough period, but I do think that the teachers in our district are paid fairly.
Under what circumstances would you favor increasing property taxes?
I would be in favor of a tax increase to benefit the children of our community and move our school district forward in such a way that we are prepared for future growth.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie experiences Monday flooding
- Information about Tonganoxie's Gallagher Park personalized bricks to be available later this month
- Kansas Turnpike Authority to tackle flooding risk
- Kansas City Connection: 'Christmas Cheer' from a new 'Nutcracker' to Charles Dickens
- Tonganoxie free community fitness program attracts nearly 90 at first official session