ELECTION CENTRAL: Becker will replace outgoing Mildred McMillon on school board
A retired carpenter will be the newest member of the Tonganoxie school board.
Gene Becker won election Tuesday night against Jonathan Boone and Tamara Behm.
Becker claimed nearly 41 percent of the vote, garnering 631 votes to Boone’s 491 and Behm’s 427.
Becker, whose wife, Debbie, is administrative secretary at Tonganoxie Elementary School, will take the at-large position currently held by Mildred McMillon, a longtime board member who also served at one time on the state board. McMillon announced in December she would not seek re-election.
Running unopposed in the election were incumbents Kathy Baragary, Leana Leslie and Diane Truesdell.
Results won’t be final until Leavenworth County Commissioners canvass the votes, a process set to start at 9 a.m. Friday at the Leavenworth County Courthouse.
More like this story
- Bond opposition ready for revised plan
- Post-bond issue decisions key, retired carpenter Becker says
- 2011 Candidate Questionnaire: Tonganoxie School Board candidate Gene Becker
- 2011 Candidate Questionnaire: Tonganoxie School Board candidate Jonathan Boone
- McMillon announces she won't seek re-election in April