Tonganoxie O’Reilly Auto Parts store should open near June 1
O’Reilly Auto Parts will open a Tonganoxie store as its busiest season starts.
Construction started this past month at the site of the future store across U.S. Highway 24-40 from Tonganoxie High School and west of Sonic Drive-in. Mark Merz, director of investor relations for O’Reilly, said the store should open about June 1.
That timeline would coincide with the start of the auto parts business’s strongest four months when warm-weather projects and vacation driving boost sales, Merz said.
The Tonganoxie store will join 3,570 stores in the growing Springfield, Mo., chain and be one of 170 that it opens this year, Merz said.
The 7,100-square-foot Tonganoxie store will be one of 170 the chain plans to open in 2011. That growth is occurring in a troubled economy, which hasn’t decreased demand for O’Reilly.
“The auto aftermarket tends to be non-discretionary spending,” Merz said. “When your car breaks down, you have to spend money to get to work. Whereas, if electronics break down, you don’t have to get it fixed.”
More like this story
- Douglas County Fair returns July 24 with new theme, kiddie derby
- Remember When: A Community Review for Aug. 16, 2017
- Tonganoxie baseball regional postponed due to weather
- Upset special: Tonganoxie High baseball knocks off Atchison, Piper, earns 1st state berth since 2014.
- Remember When: A Community Review for Jan. 31, 2018