University of Saint Mary Community Band seeking participants
The University of Saint Mary Community Band will kick off its new season of rehearsals at 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 29 at the Walnut Room on the second floor of Mead Hall on USM’s Leavenworth campus, 4100 S. Fourth St.
The volunteer ensemble Community Band is made up of USM students, faculty and staff, as well as selected home-schooled students and students from area high schools and amateur and professional musicians from the surrounding community. This fall, the band will perform at the university’s Halloween and Christmas concerts.
It’s free to participate in the USM Community Band. No auditions are required. Area string players who are interested in performing with university ensembles are also invited.
Weekly community band rehearsals begin Aug. 29, but latecomers are welcome and are encouraged to join rehearsals on any Monday in September. There will be no rehearsal on Labor Day, Monday, Sept. 5.
Contact Freda Proctor, assistant professor of music and USM’s instrumental music coordinator, at (913) 758-6320 for more information.
More like this story
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Kansas state workers could be furloughed if budget delayed
- Kansas Senate can't pass tax plan, despite looming threats
- Report: Nearly 1 in 3 young U.S. adults too fat for military
- KCP&L appeals rate increase ruling by Kansas regulators