Building on national register
A Leavenworth school is one of four structures added to the National Register of Historic Places, the Kansas Historical Society announced this past week.
Sumner Elementary School, 1501 Fifth Ave., Leavenworth, was completed in 1925 and served as a school building until its closing after the 1968-69 school year. For years the Leavenworth school district used the building as a maintenance facility. In 2000, the Pentecostal Church of the Apostolic Faith purchased the building for use as a church activity center.
Other buildings now on the national list: Cross, H. C. and Susan, House, 526 Union St., Emporia, Lyon County; Dorrance State Bank, 512 Main St., Dorrance, Russell County; and Hoke Building, 25 E. First Ave., Hutchinson, Reno County.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Sushi and Sufjan
- Few original Brownback cabinet secretaries remain
- Hogs, residents compete for Kansas county's water supply
- Kansas fantasy writer's penchant for the unexpected appeals to international audiences
- Kansas lawmakers consider measure to require parental consent for sex ed