Archive for Thursday, December 8, 2011

Man who allegedly threatened Tonganoxie High School principal had gun when arrested

December 8, 2011

A rural Tonganoxie man who allegedly threatened the Tonganoxie High School principal earlier this week at the school had a gun when he was arrested.

Leavenworth County Undersheriff Ron Cranor said Thursday the man informed officers about the gun during the arrest, which took place off school grounds. It is not clear whether the gun was in the man’s possession when he was at THS.

The man, who had a permit for the weapon, was arrested on charges of making criminal threats to the principal and for an outstanding warrant for contempt of court.

Officials allege the man kicked open the door to principal Jamie Carlisle’s office, according to reports.When Carlisle indicated he was going to contact authorities, the man said, “I may not take care of it here but, by God, I will take care of it somewhere,” the report said.

Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson said Thursday afternoon he was awaiting information on the case from the sheriff’s office before determining whether to file charges against the man, who has been released from jail.

Comments

straightup 3 years ago

I not saying what this man did was handled right, but this school better get a handle on this "Bullying" stuff. The young kids can't take it and now it looks like the parents can't take it either. Bullying is something you can not sweep under the Rug!! Get a Grip on this THS. Before we have to pay out again.

dagger707 3 years ago

The last thing we need is another lawsuit

dagger707 3 years ago

The last thing we need is another lawsuit

Old_Vet 3 years ago

The first time it was extortion, the district appeared to have been set up by the kids father.

Bullying has occurred since I went to High School 50 plus years ago. Kids should never have to deal with bullying, with that said, they also need to toughen up a whole lot. We have a new generation of whiners and crybabies that believes it is entitled. This new generation considers winning bullying. Their parents have been giving them participation trophies and they have soccer matches where they don't keep score so no ones feelings get hurt. Come on. Being a WINNER does not make you a bully and being a LOSER does not make one a victim. I don't know the particulars here but I imagine it wasn't worth the father getting hysterical and emotional to the point of looking like an arss. We used to call the parents of the other kid or stop by their residence for a short visit. Problem was normally resolved with a little neighborly communication. I'll bet the hot head never talked to the other family. What happened to parenting?

The district probably has a student handbook that prohibits bullying. They should have processes to report it to principles, the superintendent or their elected officials on the board. Just because the father didn't like the first answer, he didn't get his instant gratification, so he melted down and had a tantrum. Our 51 year old temper tantrum boy never grew up, was not parented properly, and created a much bigger mess for himself which he'll blame on the system. Dr Spock really did a great job telling parents how to raise their kids, now we have the aftermath of that failed progressive social experiment.

Maybe there was no bullying. Maybe the child, like her father, didn't like the response from the other student and acted out like her father. Didn't get that instant gratification, doesn't know how to work for it or "win" it, so it must be the other kids fault. Apples don't fall far from the tree. We're all just victims...blah blah blah.

deadnowrise 3 years ago

Considering this is at leat the 6th "bullying" issue to make it all the way to the cops just since the beginning of the school year, I'd say this needs to be stamped out (lawsuits as the least of the reasons). Granted this situation made it to the police in a different way than the others.
As one who is very close to the family in question, he is one who probably had the ability to become somewhat unhinged (as proven by this action). But knowing what happened, I can't say I completely blame him. Sometimes when things get covered up in school, you feel like you're truly at war with them.
Peace, love, and death metal to you all...

Old_Vet 3 years ago

I navigated the USD 464 internet web page and found their handbooks for students. It appears that the handbooks are quite clear that there is to be no bullying. There are several references to antibullying campaigns, assemblies, and so on. Perhaps the perceived increases in bullying incidents is a direct result of bullying awareness and reporting. Apparently this is exactly what is supposed to happen, bullying is being reported and the process is in place to deal with it as it occurs on school grounds.

Remember, parents are the legal guardians of these children, not the school district, not the community, not the town, so start being parents and teach your kids right from wrong. Parents, set an example worthy of being followed, don't threaten the principle and splash your behavior all over the local media, it isn't a good example.

In 1949-51 I don't recall my high school having any of these silly problems, parents handled it by discussing it between themselves. They'd have been ashamed and embarassed to have it all over the news.

straightup 3 years ago

I bet you were a Bully "Old_Vet." back in the 49-51 years. Today's times people will not put up with it. Like I said the school need to get a grip on this behavior before it get more out of hand. Parents don't go to the other parents.. that has a Bully for a child because like you say 'apple don't fall far from the tree'. Parents want to send thier kids to school so they can get a good education not to have to worry about thier kids being Bullied by others. My guess your grand kids.

Old_Vet 3 years ago

Straightup, throwing out a negative accusation by calling me a bully for merely expressing my opinion is very revealing. You are clearly exhibiting bullying behavior. By definition, you are cyberbullying a feeble old man. Your cruel words were hurtful and intimidating and I would ask you to cease the name calling and labeling. I would have my parents speak to your parents mine have long since passed on.

The following is from the school internet web page;

Tonganoxie High School and USD 464 will not tolerate any bullying of another student. According to the USD 464 Code of Conduct Threatening/Bullying of Another Student is defined as the intentional unlawful threat or intimidation by word or act to do violence to the person or property of another student or the doing of an act, which creates a well-founded fear within the other person. The consequences for this Class II offense can range from an In-School Conference to Expulsion.

The Junior High School: Bullying is defined as any intentional gesture or any intentional written, verbal, or physical act or threat that is sufficiently severe, persistent, or pervasive that creates an intimidating, threatening, or abusive educational environment for a student or staff member that a reasonable person, under the circumstances, knows or should know will have the effect of: 1. Harming a student or staff member, whether physically or mentally; 2. Damaging a student’s or staff member’s property; 3. Placing a student or staff member in reasonable fear of harm to the student or staff member; 4. Placing a student or staff member in reasonable fear of damage to the student’s or staff member’s property. Bullying also includes any form of intimidation or harassment prohibited by the board of education.BOE policy JDDC states, “The board of education prohibits bullying in any form, including electronic means, on school property, in a school vehicle (including bus, school van, or other private or school vehicle used to transport students or staff members to and from a school-sponsored activity), or at any school sponsored activity or event. The plan shall include provisions for the training and education of staff members and students, and shall include appropriate community involvement as approved by the board. Students who have bullied others in violation of this policy may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including suspension and expulsion. If appropriate, students who violate the bullying prohibition shall be reported to local law enforcement.”

CYBERBULLYING: The sending or posting of harmful or cruel text or images using the internet or other digital communication de-vices.

(This internet is amazing how much information is on it at the touch of a few keys. Fifty years ago a person would have had to gone to the school office to find this information or the library and it was usually outdated)

deadnowrise 3 years ago

Agreed Old Vet on all points.
That's a good point too on the probability that the police could be finding out more due to the awareness.
I know that in a situation regarding some family that came up, the police actually requested audience with family upon hearing about the situation to share some things and learn. It was kind of surprising.

kanfarmer 3 years ago

Old Vet. as you "navigated" the hand book. did you find any rule that said." the rules of the hand book must be enforced"? Its not in there. The "rules" are enforced or not depending on whos child is involved. Thats what is causing the problem. No enforcement.

Also your comment, The first time it was extortion, the district appeared to have been set up by the kids father". PLEASE Old Vet. dazzle us with your first hand knowledge of the court case. Tell us exactly how the "extortion" was done. Dont leave out any details. But remember , all of the court records are open to the public, so be accurate. Facts... not whispers, or someone told me or I heard it at the coffee shop . Quote your source so we all can look it up.

Old_Vet 3 years ago

It's a pattern of behavior, having lived here for decades one knows these things. It was a set up. I've known the family for some time, if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck. Just because the courts found in favor of the whiners doesn't mean it is a good decision. Dred Scott vs Sandford was a bad decision, Roe vs Wade another. Just because the court sides with one side doesn't make it right, or moral. The Judge was an activist and made a terrible decision. If it had been appealed it would have probably been overturned. Unfortunately the district just wanted to move on. To bad for all the taxpayers who were fleeced by one of our own citizens. Really helped out the community they did taking half a million from the other kids. Tell me that aint bullying. The community as a whole is disgusted with the outcome and how they (father) remain here after the fleecing is a testament to the good people of Tongie being patient and tolerant.

Regarding the handbook, if you don't like it, then move or go to the school and seek to change it. Maybe you should go to school and get certified to run a school district or school and then set up your own public utopian center of perfection. Yawn...zzzzzz

acc74 3 years ago

Old_Vet, you never cease to amaze me with your comments on here and the fact that you are still living in 49-51. You are constantly belittling people and their beliefs and opinions on here and condemning them for having a mindset of their own and not that of yours. You are the epitome of a bully. Do you not realize that the things kids say and do have changed tremendously in the last 20 years alone? Do their acts lie at the feet of their parents? Of course they do. However, let's face it, the school has just as much if not more time with our children than we as parents do so there is responsibility on both parts. The part of the parents teaching their children right and wrong and the school enforcing their policies. I can vouch for the fact that my child is not a "whiner" yet has had issues that have upset her to a degree I never thought possible due to things said or done by another girl her age. It's not a matter of the kids being whiners or big bad arses. Many kids are just flat out mean and hateful and enjoy seeing others suffer. So yes, parents need to step up but so do the schools AND THE CHILDRENS ELDERS! If we can't like each other, we should at least tolerate and not hate. With that said, I wish you happiness and a life or prosperity that you can gain by opening your heart and mind.

Old_Vet 3 years ago

It's your fault. You coddled and befriended your child instead of loving her. Love means being a parent first, not her best friend. Discipline and standards make for a healthy, independent, self aware and capable offspring. Your child by your own admission has not been prepared for life in the real world. You failed by some accounts.

You're a bully and won't even admit it. You condemn my beliefs, belittle my opinion, and call me out for what you're doing. Do you not see your hypocricy? You just elevated your cultural values above mine because you believe mine to be antiquated. By what right? My generation did not have rampant child molestation, drug use, public welfare and unpatriotic undertones. My generation worships God, is proud to serve, and takes personal responsibility serious. In a sense you could say I failed, not me individually but my generation failed to pass on Christian values to your generation in satisfactory numbers to prevent the current moral crisis in America.

Let me sum it all up for you in a manner your generation can understand: It's not your fault, you're great, you should get a medal. Don't work too hard, you're entitled to all the good things in life others can give you. Don't be convicted by conscience that what your doing is against Gods law or natural law. Reward yourself with whatever you want, you're worth it. It's not fair that others have it too easy, it should be easy for all.

I'm talking to a tree stump, aint I?

acc74 3 years ago

Well hello pot, my names kettle. Nice to meet you. Bitter lately? See, I can bring myself to have the same attitude that you do. Fortunately for those I come in contact with, rarely do I have to do it. However, I can do what I have taught my children which is to defend themselves against others and stand up for their beliefs and what is right. I did not insult you in the post above. I simply stated facts. If you think they are not facts, please go back and review your posts and see how many insults you have thrown out to others without facts to back them up.

I would like to thank you for the comedic relief. Seriously. I've never been called a "stump" and it has honestly made me laugh. Also, please take a moment to read what I wrote, not what you interpreted it as. Did I not say that the attitude problems lie at the feet of the parents? With that said, does that really make me sound as someone that would be more interested in being my child's friend? My children are incredibly strong willed yet know that NOTHING entitles them to put down others. It would be nice if someone had taught you the same. You, on the other hand, have no place to assume ones parenting abilities without knowing what those abilities consists of. Am I my kids friend? If you ask them, absolutely not. I am the one that teaches them right from wrong, punishes them when needed and looks out for their best interest. I in no way, shape or form admitted that my children are not prepared for the real world. They're even prepared for attitudes such as yours. Of course I have and will fail on multiple levels as a parent. Feel free to find a parent that hasn't. At least I will admit that.

I do NOT condemn your beliefs nor will I. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and opinions. That's what makes this country great. Do I disagree with them? Absolutely. However, I think no less of you for having them. My issue is the way you approach your fellow man. I have rarely seen such disrespect for humankind. If me saying that makes me a bully in your mind, then by all means, call me a bully. *Continued on next post....

acc74 3 years ago

Your right in regards to your generation. It was and is a great generation and I wish that it could be now as it was then. Myself and my children respect our elders and admire their morals and take after many of them. I simply wish many other kids now a days would do the same. You're right again as far as the things that take place in current society. It's sad and pitiful. Yet again, it is the parents responsibility to teach their children right from wrong. I know this may shock you, but even as a liberal (this may just throw your stereotyping right out of the water) I am very thankful for our church family and christian beliefs as those along with my husband and I are what have kept our children grounded and respectful. There is a definite moral crisis in these times. If I could change it single handedly, you bet I would! However, as the saying goes, "it takes a village to raise a child" and tossing insults to those doing the raising will do nothing but harden their hearts and minds as opposed to assisting with bring back the "good ol' days". With all of that said, I am not nor will I ask for your insulting "medal". It's parenting and it's a gift within itself not to be rewarded by anything more than having decent children to treat others with respect and dignity and that try to make the world a better place. As I am a Christian and am true to my faith, I forgive you for your insults towards myself seeing how you do not know a thing about me. You have no idea what I've done against Gods law or natural law. I do not reward myself. As a matter of fact, as far as not working too hard, here's a little tid bit for you, I have busted my butt to get to where I am which is the VP of sales of a company (without having a degree) so your assumptions are incorrect. I'm still trying to figure out where you have come up with much of your responses, yet I'm even wondering more why I'm bothering with this.

In closing, I would like to honestly thank you for the time you served our country. Thanks to you and thousands of others, we all have the ability to voice our opinions on many forums such as this one and the freedoms that we all enjoy. I also would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas (yes, I do say Christmas as Christ is what the season is about -sorry to ruin your thoughts of me on that one.)

Take care. ~Stump (This really does make me laugh)

bettyboop65 3 years ago

The TRUTH of this whole inncident should be stated so everyone knows what is the facts. There is many that know the facts about this and Bullying wasnt one of those facts other than there was NO bullying. I know that because legal issues are going on there cant be a offical statement on what did or didnt occur but for those who were there know the facts. Jut wait till judgement is passed.

Old_Vet 3 years ago

"Well hello pot, my names kettle. Nice to meet you. Bitter lately? See, I can bring myself to have the same attitude that you do. Fortunately for those I come in contact with, rarely do I have to do it."

Now you're being honest, that is a start. You should be honest all the time and it won't be such a rarity.

God Bless and go to Mass today.

Chris McGhee 3 years ago

Holy cow!

This conversation has gone from a discussion of a dude loosing his cool to an Anonymous battle over morals.

This beats the Republican debates all day long.

Thanks!