Slow start costs THS boys at Piper
A recurring problem for the Tonganoxie High boys basketball team kept the Chieftains out of the win column once again Tuesday at Piper, in Kansas City, Kan.
THS fell behind by double digits in the first quarter and couldn't recover in a 56-49 loss.
Tonganoxie coach Shawn Phillips said makeable shots just weren't falling for his team in the opening minutes of the loss to Piper (4-13 overall, 2-9 Kaw Valley League).
“We were missing from two feet,” Phillips said. “We missed from everywhere early on to start the game.”
Tuesday's loss marked the 13th time this season THS trailed entering the second quarter. Tonganoxie's record in such games is 4-9.
The Chieftains (8-11, 3-10) also turned the ball over too much early on, Phillips said, which led to a 12-point halftime deficit.
Dane Erickson led THS with 10 points.
Tonganoxie made only 41 percent of its free throws in the seven-point setback.
At 7:30 p.m. on Friday, the Chieftains close their regular-season schedule by playing host to Turner.
Score by quarters
THS 10 11 9 19 — 49
PHS 15 18 11 12 — 56
Dane Erickson 10, Dylan Scates 6, Jeremy Carlisle 5, Colby Yates 7, Austin Vickers 5, Dylan Jacobs 2, Brennen Williams 8, Brady Waldeier 2, John Lean 2, Josh Ghale 2.
More like this story
- Longtime Tonganoxie council members to square off in mayoral race
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Tonganoxie St. Pat's Parade organizers working to bulk up annual spring event
- Kansas City Connection: City Market a hub for delicious ethnic food
- Annual St. Patrick's Parade set for March 14