Archive for Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Supporters say growth necessitates bond issue

HTK Architects' current renderings of the new Tonganoxie Intermediate School on the district's 80 acres, which is the same land where Tonganoxie Middle School was constructed following a successful 2004 bond issue.

February 22, 2011

Proponents of a $26.9 million bond issue stress that an upgrade in USD 464 facilities is needed to keep up with growing enrollment.

Enrollment in the Tonganoxie school district has increased by 500 students, or 25 percent, in the past decade, and the average grade-level size has grown by nearly 40 students in the last decade.

A $25.6 million bond issue successfully passed in 2004 and addressed space issues. But now, more than six years later, school officials say space issues again must be addressed.

The particulars of the bond issue were laid out and discussed Monday at the first informational meeting for the bond issue at the Tonganoxie Performing Arts Center.

About 60 people attended the meeting, which opened with renderings of possible improvements to district campuses designed by HTK Architects.

The meeting then turned to a question-and-answer session among patrons, superintendent of schools Kyle Hayden and HTK president Mark Franzen.

Concerns about properly utilizing current buildings, what a failed bond issue could mean for overcrowding and whether it was a proper time to have a bond issue based with difficult economic times were some of the issues expressed at the meeting.

One patron asked about an option the district had not pursued: transforming the aging elementary school, which currently is home to kindergarten through fourth grades, into a community center and building a larger elementary school near the current middle school.

Franzen said renovating TES into a K-1 building and constructing an intermediate school was the more fiscally responsible move.

Dennis Bixby, who is running for city council, said he’s supportive of youth and education, but he wasn’t sure the economic climate was right for a project.

Hayden responded that planning for the issue has been a 2 ½ year undertaking and been pushed back since fall 2008 because of the economy.

However, he pointed out in a slideshow presentation that:

• The project would bring jobs to the community.

• Construction costs for materials and labors are down.

• A minimum of 25 percent of the project would be paid by the state aid estimated at $6.725 million, while state aid for opening a new facility would be $2.25 million total during the next two years.

A failed bond issue could mean the district would be without that aid in the future because of a push in the Legislature to do away with the funding for bond elections after July 1.

The estimated annual impact, according to the district, for a property with an appraised value of $100,000 is $104.34. The impact on a $125,000 property would be $130.42, and it would be $156.60 for a property appraised at $150,000.

Hayden also noted that Tonganoxie’s mill rate currently is 54.81 mills, which ranks low among area school districts. For instance, Lawrence is at 57.87 mills and Eudora is highest with 68.46 mills. With a successful bond issue, Tonganoxie’s proposed mill rate would be 63.88 mills, in step with Leavenworth (63.18 mills).

Also playing into the bond issue discussion are infrastructure improvements that have been a concern with the city in its discussions with the district. Hayden said the district just received preliminary traffic study results earlier Monday that suggested an extension of East Street, which would run along the east side of the district’s 80 acres, based on traffic statistics. A 14th Street extension was not needed from the campus to U.S. Highways 24-40 would not be required, according to the preliminary report.

That land is home to the Tonganoxie Middle School constructed in 2004 and, if the bond issue passes, would be home to a new intermediate school.

The bond issue currently calls for a new intermediate school for grades 2-5 ($16.8 million), improvements to the elementary school, which would be K-1 ($450,000), a high school addition that would connect the east and west campuses ($5.9 million), fees, furniture and permits ($2.6 million) and contingency funds $1.15 million).

Voter registration is open until March 21. For more information, call the county’s voter registration line at (913) 684-0419.

Comments

maryp 3 years, 1 month ago

I will not vote for this bond issue and know many people who won't either. This is not the time. They will have to tighten their belts like everyone else.

only1 3 years, 1 month ago

I will vote for this bond issue because it is the right time. Why would you want to wait 2 or 3 years when costs will be higher, buildings will be even more crowed and the economy may not be recovered. Let me guess, tighten the belts some more? Even if the economy is recovered there will be many who will still make excuses as to why they won't vote for it because it's a matter of priorities and apparently driving SUV's, going out to eat, going to the movies, cigarettes, and beer are all higher priorities than improving the daily lives of our children. Just call it like I see it. If it offends, so be it, but I think it's sad. "Tighten their belts like everyone else".... Schools have been tightening their belts. Do the research. There is no more fat to cut off. The budget woes are cutting into muscle. Do you realize that our schools are for the good of the community? Who are "THEY" that you are referring to? You seem to have an us vs. them mentality. Just because the former administration made some mistakes (that is what is being said by alot of people) doesn't mean you have to hold a grudge against current adminstrators that are doing their job.

Padfield 3 years, 1 month ago

I will vote for it, and I also know people who will. When is the time? Yes, the economy is still rough. Believe me, I know all about that! But, the necessities still need to be taken care of.

Last year, my daughter came home from school with headaches, and her kindergarten class had to leave their classroom after a wall had filled with water and mold over the years. Have you seen the condition of our elementary school? We have classes taught in hallways for crying out loud! That building needs major improvements!

How are we going to attract anyone to move to town when we have outdated facilities? We won't. The young families looking to move out of the city will not settle in Tonganoxie once they see that elementary school. Couple this with the state cutting the funds per pupil yet again, and you should be able to see how we are hamstringing ourselves. Eventually, we will end up taking any students we can get, and those are going to be the students that have not been successful in other area schools.

Our mill rate is currently lower than the surrounding areas. The state will kick in some funds if we pass this in April, but if we don't those funds will likely dry up. So, if this doesn’t pass we will be digging deeper into our pockets on the next go around. And, there will be a next go around.

This isn't about wanting something new and shiny, this is about doing what is right and taking care of our kids. If your kid outgrows his or her shoes, you buy them a new pair. If they fall apart due to age, you buy a new pair. If there is a shoe sale going on and you need shoes, makes sense to buy them before they go back to full price. Or, we can just put gunnysacks on our kids‘ feet; after all, it was good enough for us in the past!

I understand that there were some problems with the last bond issue, but this is a new architect and a new administration. Just because you bought a bad car once doesn’t mean you go back to using a Ticonderoga wagon to get to the store. You do your research, you ask questions, and you find someone you trust to buy from the next time.

I am not trying to upset anyone here, but we NEED to do something about that elementary school. I have stared at these words and re-read them many times as I tried to decide whether to delete it or post it. Yes, I am a teacher in the district, so is my wife, we chose to live in town, and my kids will both be in the school district… those first two have nothing to do with this post. But, you better believe, that last part has EVERYTHING to do with it! I want my kids to have the best education that they can, I want them to develop a love of learning, I want them to have some community pride, and I will gladly pay the roughly $10 a month to help ensure their future success.

Padfield 3 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, typed that on my phone... Should be “Conestoga” not “Ticonderoga.” Not really germane to the discussion, but it will bother me if I don't correct it.

h5 3 years, 1 month ago

Just one correction--It wasn't mold in the walls, it was sewage, I believe.

momtongie 3 years, 1 month ago

One of the reasons we moved to Tonganoxie is BECAUSE the community PASSED the bond issue in 2004! This demonstrated to us that the community supported its schools, which are the backbone of the community.

The information on this bond issue has shown that there are several reasons that the time is right NOW: 1. Over 2 1/2 years of planning and forethought have gone into this, and the district has been fiscally responsible by delaying this long. 2. The Kansas legislature has current legislation in process that will eliminate state aid for any bond issues passed after July 1, so time is critical. If not passed now, the community will have to pay the extra $7 to $9 million in costs that will currently be funded by the state of Kansas. 3. Passing the bond will bring jobs to the community, including construction and education jobs, which leads to further economic development. 4. Construction costs are very low right now and waiting will only increase the cost. 5. The new facilities funding will pay many costs associated with opening a new building, including staff costs, utilities, etc. for 2 years after opening the new building.

The school district has already "tightened their belts" so much that if the tighten any more, students will suffer by larger class sizes and cuts in programs and staff. The bond issue will help in this capacity, and the case in point is Basehor Linwood school district. They are not cutting any staff or programs BECAUSE they have the new facilities funding from PASSING their bond issue.

The bottom line is that passing the bond issue will benefit the students AND the community.

I am voting YES!

Dale Woodyard 3 years, 1 month ago

Doesn't it bother you that the district did not get it right then (2004) and this issue may be wrong as well? We pay a high tax in this town. Don't you want to know if there are other plans or ideas that may work to solve the problem, hold District officials accountable, and cost less?1. Why then were the issues you spoke of, not added to the last bond issue? (i.e. the ramps for disabled kids) That could be a quick and easy fix, but administrators have not made it a priority. I do not believe that the administrators and other officials truly have the best interest of the children at heart. My child no longer attends Tonganoxie USD 464 because administration and staff have not been willing to employ the solutions that were put forth nor willing to learn how to handle the student or the diagnosis. There is nothing wrong with looking at other possible solutions. Jumping into this without looking at other possibilities my bite us like the last one did.

momtongie 3 years, 1 month ago

Well said Padfield! I am cheering and echoing your post!

only1 3 years, 1 month ago

It's time for people to stand up to the negative, out-dated attitudes that exist in this town. The younger generation's time has arrived and we want a progressive community! "Yes" voters need to encourage the younger generation of voters that have children to step up to the plate. After all, the "No" voters are spreading their word. We don't have to sit back and take defeat. Stand up for what's right!!

getagrip 3 years, 1 month ago

Someone correct me please if I am wrong, but didn't the last bond issue project that more growth would happen in the future? Everyone wants to refer to the negative on the last bond issue, but I believe that future growth was discussed at that time. Isn't that why the middle school was built where it now sits.....to provide for future growth? The future is now. Seems like people always think that the future is a hundred years away but in reality the future is always tomorrow.

only1 3 years, 1 month ago

What bothers me is that Tonganoxie has the potential to be a top-notch communtiy but there seems to be an attitude of accepting mediocrity. I don't know about everybody else, but I want my kids to be able to explore and learn in ways that will help them be a leader of tomorrow, not by sitting in a crowded room in a delapidated building. I want my kids to be pushed to reach their potential. I expect their teachers and coaches to have high expectations for them, not coddle them and let them skim by. "I learned in that building, so can they"... Tired of hearing that. What message are we sending to the youth if we don't have high expectations for our school and community? I've been told to my face that there is no way that this bond issue will pass, but there is no way I'm accepting that view. I owe to my children to stand up for what's right, and their future is what's right.

h5 3 years, 1 month ago

Things that are ridiculous to me-- 1. Dennis Bixby is openly opposing the bond election. He is posting this on his facebook page and listing what the election will cost, WITH INTEREST. Gee, I hope he buys everything with cash, because if he adds up what his house/car/truck cost with interest, he will be appalled at that too.
2. People that say the downtown is dying, therefore, why support the school. Um, last time I checked, there was a new clothing store (HAve), a new coffee shop (The Coffee Depot), a new health store (Merge), a new baker and bistro (Elle's), a new pharmacy, and a new car wash being built. All within the past year. Not to mention the two bars, the other two restaurants, the gift shop, the banks, the pawn shop, the thrift stores, the doctor's offices....just to name a few. I guess the gun shop closed, so yes, apparantly downtown is dead.
3. The argument that the school needs to "tighten it's belt". The funds used to pay teachers, staff, buy classroom supplies, etc... are NOT the same money used to build schools. THERE IS NO ROOM. 4. Vote "no" if the following does not bother you---- KINDERGARTEN CLASSES HAVE PE IN A HALLWAY KINDERGARTEN GOES TO LUNCH AT 10:45 BECAUSE SO MANY KIDS HAVE TO EAT. SPECIAL EDUCATION KIDS ARE SERVED IN A ROOM BEHIND THE OLD STAGE. CHILDREN IN WHEELCHAIRS HAVE TO GO OUTSIDE AND AROUND THE BUILDING TO GET TO THE NORTH GYM, BECAUSE THERE IS NO RAMP INSIDE AND NO ROOM TO BUILD ONE. 150 KIDS GO TO RECESS AT THE SAME TIME. REMEDIATION TAKES PLACE ON THE FLOOR IN THE HALLWAYS. CHILDREN IN THE QUONSET AND TRAILERS HAVE TO BE LOCKED IN DURING THE DAY TO BE SAFE. THE HIGH SCHOOL HAS FIVE ENTRANCES THAT ARE NOT LOCKED DURING THE DAY. HIGH SCHOOL KIDS WALK ACROSS A USED PARKING LOT. THERE IS NO CHOIR ROOM IN THE HIGH SCHOOL. WE ARE A 4A HIGH SCHOOL! FIFTH GRADE WILL BE IN A SCIENCE LAB NEXT YEAR. 5. I know times are tough, I understand that. I used to live in low income apartments, without cable, without internet, and rarely ate out. I bought my clothes at a discount store and shopped at Aldis. However, I still found a way to give money at church, volunteer, and support kids. I guess I need to assume that all of the people against this bond have made all of these cuts and more, and have nothing left to give. If so, I can understand their "no" vote.

Dale Woodyard 3 years, 1 month ago

Indian 3 years, 1 month ago

I have to chime in on this. I have lived here my whole life. I beleive that schools are important to the community. Kids and educating our kids is our future. My wife and I do not have any kids or grand-kid in our schools. But that does not mean that I will not support the school bond. We are having a hard time making ends meet with the cost of living going up and our wages staying the same for last 4 years. But we will find a way to support the new school bond. I will be the first one to say that I do not like my taxes to go up. That We pay enough Taxes. To me.. what other surrounding area has done or is doing mean nothing to me or what there mill rates are. What truly matters is what my community is needing and what we can do to make it better for everyone!! I do not like people putting down the older generation's. WE are the one that have built this community to what it is today! The elementary school building is not a dilapidated building because they still plan on using it. Remember K-1st Grades Remarks about how people spend their money is no ones business but their own. I know you want the new school but Stay with the facts about why we need the new school. Stop with the remark that I have been reading and the school bond will have more support. Some of these remark has upset me and I support the school. Oh.... about Dennis Bixby ... I will not be voting for him, but I will vote for the the school bond.

momtongie 3 years, 1 month ago

Seriously Mr. Bixby?! I'm sure your mortgage is paid off, but what did that cost over time? How about your cars/trucks? That is just ridiculous to cost things like that out over time. I think if I checked my mortgage I'd die of a heart attack.

I'm tallying my votes so far, and here is how I stand:

School Bond: YES! Dennis Bixby: NO!

only1 3 years, 1 month ago

Indian: You have your opinion, I have mine. I call it like I see it. I'm not talking about everyone in the older generation. I'm talking about the one's that go around town talking negatively about the school system and downgrade the importance of education and openly criticize people that are trying to do the right thing. Maybe it isn't my business what they do with their money, but if they can try to spread negative towards the bond issue and not bat an eye, then I can weigh in with my opinion. This is an opinion board and I will express my opinion, just as you have expressed yours. How are you any different?

only1 3 years, 1 month ago

Indian: I should also add that I have great respect for the elderly people in this community that have contributed to the community throughout their lives. I apologize if it sounded like I was lumping all "older generation" people into my post. I should have worded my post a little better. As a younger generation person, and someone who plans to be in Tonganoxie for a long time, I don't feel as though my needs or my childs needs are being met. I am passionate about my children and their future and all I was trying to do is encourage people that fall into my category to stand up for what's right and vote "yes". I am tired of all of the naysayers in this community.

Indian 3 years, 1 month ago

Only1: I guess I should make myself clear. The 2010 Census came out not to long ago. It showed that the biggest age group of people that live here in our community is 45 yr and older. Most of these people do not have kids still in school. So this "older generation" are the ones that we need to convince to vote yes on this school bond . I don't concentrate myself over the hill yet... but I'm in this age group. All I was trying to say was just encourage people with the fact of why we need to build a new school. Most of the people that I have talked to is going to vote for the bond! Don't worry the people of Tonganoxie will do the right thing. Everyone know who hold our furture. Our kids!!

teatime 3 years, 1 month ago

When I was younger, I didn't understand the older people that seemed to be against everything that involved money. The penny pinchers. The people that lived through the depression truly know what hard living is. There was no welfare or food stamps back then. No social security. Now that this recent economy has worked its number on me, I better understand them and their attitude. It has nothing to do with not caring for the kids. It's a true appreciation for the difference between wants and needs, and just how much money that extra one or two hundred dollars a year is. It's the worry of that long term debt. It's not taking for granted that there will always be money from somewhere. Yes, there are plenty of grumps young and old that aren't ever in favor of anything. But please don't be so quick to put down "the old people." They just may be smarter than you think. I will not be voting for the bond issue this time around. Maybe next time if things are brighter. Just because it has already been pushed back, doesn't mean it can't be pushed back again. I have grandkids in this school district. They are doing just fine and I imagine will continue to do so regardless of the outcome of this bond issue. They come from some pretty stout stock.

momtongie 3 years, 1 month ago

I, too, am a self-proclaimed penny pincher, but I really don't consider myself old.

The big difference here is that the bond issue is truly a NEED, not a want. It will provide much needed space to alleviate over-crowding, as well as safety. Waiting will only add to the cost, making the bond much more expensive. Construction costs will go up. State aid may be taken away, adding another $7 to $9 million. The responsible thing to do is to pass the bond issue NOW when the cost is low, rather than to wait until it is much more expensive.

I have kids in each building, elementary through high school, and they, too are doing fine because they come from pretty stout stock and because I am an involved parent who won't let my kids fail. However, it is not fair to crowd children into classrooms, have class in the hallway, and have them attend class in trailers and huts when we can provide adequate space for our children.

I keep hearing people say times are hard. When times were hard in the past, did FDR sit back and do nothing, waiting for a better time? No, he lead the country to build and expand, and the country was the better for it!

I'm voting YES!

teatime 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm sorry, I don't see a legitimate comparison between FDR and people that want to spend money that they don't have. I'm voting NO. And for those of you that don't want to vote for Dennis Bixby because of his stance on this, I would like to know what Paula Crook's position on the school bond is, because I believe he is running against her. Paula does not have a record for agreeing with large financial expenditures. Maybe this is an exception for her, I don't know.

only1 3 years, 1 month ago

Keep this in mind. Not all children are from STOUT stock. As a matter of fact, a good portion are not. School is the only place they feel safe and truly enjoy. Our schools should be the icon of our community. This is where our children are learning. They spend approximately 17,000 hours inside the walls of our schools from the age of 5 to 18. I just don't get how we can be ok with giving them the best we can. I will address my previous comments one more time. I am not knocking all "old people". I'm knocking the one's that are so close minded that they won't even listen. I have great respect for anyone who lived through the depression and I understand "penny pinching". What I don't understand is being so narrow minded towards anything that may improve our community. My comments weren't just about this bond issue.

teatime 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm sorry, but $25-30 million dollars is a bigger issue than you (supporters) are making of it. We've all become so numb to financing whatever we want, to a national debt in the trillions, that even a prolonged down economy doesn't register with us as long as we still have a job. To heck with anyone else's situation. A new school does not a "top-notch" community make. But sound financial responsibilty is a start. The City itself barely has the funds to operate. The school is charging for things it never had to before. So what makes us think we can afford something even bigger with more bells and whistles? Let's be a top-notch community by making wise decisions for EVERYONE.

momtongie 3 years, 1 month ago

I think we're overlooking the NEED for the bond issue. The growth of over 25% over the past decade necessitates the expansion. In addition, the 24-40 corridor/Kansas Speedway/Legends area is experiencing huge growth, with over 5,000 jobs coming in the next couple years. Many of those families will be moving to Tonganoxie. Where will we put those children when they get here? The schools are already crowded and way over capacity, so there is no room for this new growth. The expansion is needed NOW AND for the future growth that IS coming.

I like to think of this as a growing family. A husband, wife, and 2 kids fit nicely into their two bedroom home and were comfortably paying off the mortgage. Low and behold, the wife is now expecting triplets, and the family no longer fits into the house. Do they just continue to live there until they pay off the mortgage (in 30 years) before doing anything about the overcrowding their growing family is experiencing? No. They either sell & buy bigger or take out a second mortgage to build a house that the family fits into. Common sense.

Still voting YES!

teatime 3 years, 1 month ago

But that family is only spending THEIR money. If you want to be so free and easy with everyone else's money, maybe you should go into politics. I'm not convinced of the need. I think it is being over-hyped. There are no hard numbers on how many people with school age children will be moving to Tonganoxie in any given year. In fact, Tonganoxie is looking stagnate in growth to me. And don't forget the growing number of parents sending their children to private school. I think there are more cost effective ways to address some of the issues that are being claimed as a reason for a new school and all of the increased costs that go with it, not to mention the increased longterm costs.

h5 3 years, 1 month ago

teatime--True, the family referenced by momtongie is spending their money. However, fortunately or unfortunately, public education is financed by the public. So are the roads we drive on, so is the military, so are several other entities in our daily lives. Like it or not, wrong or right, that is the way our society functions, taxes. If you only see this issue as one involving money, I feel that is a shame. This issue involves children. You also state you wonder if there are more cost effective ways of addressing the "issues". Have you been on the school's website? Did you attend the public forum on the bond election? They answered these questions completely. I would suggest you educate yourself on this issue by reading everything you can on the subject before assuming that the school administrators and board are not doing their job by recommending improvements to our schools.

momtongie 3 years, 1 month ago

Relationship to FDR: The Great Depression had important consequences in the political sphere. In the United States, economic distress led to the election of the Democrat Franklin D. Roosevelt to the presidency in late 1932. Roosevelt introduced a number of major changes in the structure of the American economy, using increased government regulation and massive public-works projects to promote a recovery.

I would like to stick with the facts. The NEED 1. District enrollment has increased over 500 students in the past decade (25%). 2. Average grade level sizes have increased nearly 40 student in the past decade. 3. In the elementary school, 690 students are fitting into a building designed to hold 500. 4. PE and student remediation classes are held in the hallways due to lack of space. 5. Trailers, the Quonset hut, and lack of parking/pick up/drop off space are all safety concerns. 6. The middle school is already at capacity with all classrooms being used, and the class moving up to 5th grade next year is huge. 7. The high school has students crossing a busy parking lot to change classes several times a day in all weather conditions, and has no secure entrance, which are huge safety issues. 8. The high school also has outdated science labs, library media, no room for vocal music, and currently attend business classes in an old church.

Why now is a good time: 1. Passing the bond will bring jobs in construction and education to the community. 2. Construction and labor costs are low. 3. 25% of the bond will be paid by the state of Kansas (may go away after July 1). 4. $2.25 million in new facilities aid will be paid to the district over the first 2 years the new building is open (may go away after July 1).

All of these facts can be found at www.tong464.org.

I am voting YES because the strength and quality of our community is directly related to the quality of our schools.

teatime 3 years, 1 month ago

Heavens to Mergatroid, if the school administrators and school board recommend it, it must be the one and only solution. Why are we even voting on it? Heck, if they had a public forum, that seals it. To think that I could get "the facts" and still disagree! Have mercy. Look, you vote YES and I'll vote NO for this go 'round. In better times I'll vote YES.

teatime 3 years, 1 month ago

h5 3 years, 1 month ago

Democracy at its finest. You have every right to disagree. I do want you to know, this is not the only solution to the overcrowding. If the bond does not pass and the district grows, class sizes will increase. Another trailer will be put up, taking away playground areas or parking areas. Kids will continue to travel between buildings that are not safe or secure. More money will continue to be poured into old buildings. Quality teachers will not apply here. What professional would move to a district that cannot look forward? The district will more than likely become stagnant and quit growing anyway if this bond election does not pass. What person, moving into the area, in their right mind, would look at our schools with the trailers and quonset and say, "YES! Looks good for my family!"? If this bond election doesn't pass, our family will look for another place to live, a place that values education and kids more than the almighty dollar. Times are tight, yes, but I choose to place more value on my children than anything else. I see this as a real turning point in Tonganoxie's history.
Good luck to you, teatime. No growth. No new taxes. Looking out for number one. The way America should be.

teatime 3 years, 1 month ago

That's right, spend your way into wealth. Was the million dollar pool and the million dollar city shop a turning point in our history, too? Are the kids that are currently in our grade school getting a shoddy education? Did the new middle school classify as history? How much growth have we seen from that? Why doesn't the new middle school make us a top notch community? How much are we going to spend to get there? What if we build it and no one comes? Are you saying the teachers and administration we have now are not professional or quality material? Are they all going to leave if this bond doesn't pass?

only1 3 years, 1 month ago

Teachers and administrators are like any other professional. They are always looking to better their situation. Quality professionals will seek greener pastures. How is it that communities like Basehor and Eudora continue to advance? If you have issues with city officials, I'd suggest gettting on the city council. People for this bond issue didn't make those decisions and neither did our children.

Michael Vestal 3 years, 1 month ago

I am on the fence on this issue. The only issue I Do have are those who rent in this area in or outside the City within the school district are Not affected by the bond issue, unless their landlord raise the rent on those folks. A Sales Tax hike would affect many more people within our School District and beyond.. I have No doubt we are severely overcrowded.

momtongie 3 years, 1 month ago

Once again, growth over the past decade is over 25%. The new middle school helped at the time, but due to growth, it is now crowded. We ARE experiencing growth in Tonganoxie and will continue to experience growth. Top notch communities provide quality educational facilities that keep up with growth. The school district has outstanding educators, and my kids have had wonderful experiences with quality teachers. However, those teachers will retire, move on, etc. and it is important to be able to attract new, quality teachers. This is not about spending your way into wealth. Whoever said schools were wealthy? It's about meeting a NEED, not a want.

Old_Vet 3 years, 1 month ago

Teatime writes: "And don't forget the growing number of parents sending their children to private school."

The number of parents sending their children to private school has diminished significantly as a result of the current economic crisis. Genesis school at the Christian Church has an enrollment of over 130 students according to their web page. Should the current economic crisis continue for two or three more years we can expect a potential 25 to 35 additional students at the USD464. Include a possible influx as a result of the Legends development and we could see a remarkable increase in student numbers (35-50?). What then teatime?

Put them in the hallways and pay $50 million for the same project in 2014-15?

Foresight (Definition) 1. Perception of the significance and nature of events before they have occurred. 2. Care in providing for the future; prudence. 3. The act of looking forward.

I can't afford to pay an additional $150 dollars a year. But I may have to, I understand my responsibilities as a citizen. I am ready to find $13 dollars a month in savings. I'll get there.