Tonganoxie girls roll with 20-point 3rd quarter
After struggling throughout the first half offensively, the Tonganoxie High girls basketball team used a 20-point third quarter to take control Tuesday at Piper, in Kansas City, Kan., and pick up a 48-25 victory.
The Chieftains only led 16-14 at the half before exploding in the third.
“We didn't play real well in the first half,” THS coach Randy Kraft said.
Tonganoxie (8-11 overall, 5-8 Kaw Valley League) found consistency on the defensive end of the floor throughout the road win, but Kraft said his team picked up its intensity on offense in the second half, when the Chieftains did most of their scoring.
“We moved the ball better and did a better job of executing our offense,” the coach said.
Amanda Holroyd, who hit a couple of 3-pointers and got some steals for layups, led THS with 13 points against Piper (5-13, 2-10).
Haley Smith scored 10 by hitting mid-range jumpers and converting four free throws.
At 6 p.m. on Friday, Tonganoxie closes its regular season by playing host to Turner.
Score by quarters
THS 8 8 20 12 — 48
PHS 6 8 4 7 — 25
Haley Smith 10, Jenny Whitledge 4, Amanda Holroyd 13, Hannah Kemp 5, Danielle Miller 4, Tavia Brown 2, Madee Walker 2, Emma Stilgenbauer 6, Tayler Miles 2.
More like this story
- High court to hear Kansas plea to reinstate death sentences
- Feds: Hotel owners replaced legal workers with immigrants
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Linwood man sentenced to nearly a decade in prison for attempted rape, attempted aggravated criminal sodomy
- Woman gets 21 months in prison for hiring illegal workers