Clayton Himpel takes 4th at state
Caleb Himpel goes 1-2
Tonganoxie High wrestling teammates and brothers Caleb and Clayton Himpel competed this past weekend at the state wrestling tournament in Salina, and Clayton finished fourth in Class 4A's 112-pound weight class.
Clayton, a freshman, won three matches and lost two on his way to a state medal.
Caleb, Tonganoxie's 130-pound junior, finished 1-2 in his first trip to state and was eliminated in the second round of the consolation bracket.
Clayton won his first two matches to advance to the 112-pound semifinals, where he lost to eventual state champion Dustin Reed of Colby.
The Chieftains freshman bounced back with a victory in the consolation semifinals to advance to the third-place match in his bracket. Clayton was defeated, 4-2, by Abilene's Junior Morgan for the third-place medal.
For much more on the Himpel brothers' state experience, pick up the March 2 print edition of The Mirror.
More like this story
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Carlisle no longer Tonganoxie High principal
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education