Zusi named MLS Player of the Month
Sporting Kansas City midfielder Graham Zusi has been named Major League Soccer's Player of the Month by the North American Soccer Reporters for the month of June.
Zusi recorded game-winning assists in each of Sporting Kansas City’s last three victories, and scored twice in the team’s 4-1 upset at FC Dallas last month.
“Overall, the past month or so we’ve been getting some great results and luckily I’ve been able to help play my part,” Zusi said. “I’m very happy with the way I’m playing right now and I hope that I continue to make an impact for the team in front of all our great fans at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park.”
Zusi's three game-winning assists last month, most in MLS, moves him into second place on the MLS game-winning assist chart, one behind David Beckham, and Zusi now boasts the league's longest active streak for consecutive games with assists, one game shy of the longest run this season.
Sporting Kansas City, unbeaten in its last seven MLS matches, also allowed only two goals in Zusi’s five appearances in June.
Zusi becomes the eighth Sporting Kansas City player to be chosen Player of the Month all-time and first since Eddie Johnson in 2007.
More like this story
- Organization Orientation: Tonganoxie Civic Club
- Hogs, residents compete for Kansas county's water supply
- Agencies expanding capacity for domestic violence victims
- Creating a family: Agency seeks more foster families; greatest need in Wyandotte County
- Tonganoxie City Council candidate questionnaire: Mike Vestal