Archive for Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Early morning chase ends with arrest

July 13, 2011

A Tonganoxie man is in Leavenworth County Jail after a car chase early Tuesday morning through downtown Tonganoxie.

Tonganoxie Police Chief Jeff Brandau said Wednesday that police attempted to stop the 35-year-old man about 1 a.m. after he was driving in the wrong lane in the 300 block of Main Street headed south toward Fourth Street, nearly hitting a parked vehicle in the process.

The man then drove west on Fourth Street and then north on Bury Street before eventually abandoning his vehicle in the 200 block of Delaware Street. The man then attempted to flee by foot. When the officer approached the man, he hit and kicked the officer repeatedly, Brandau said. The man also tried to grab the officer’s gun and threw a barbecue grill at the officer, Brandau said. The officer, meanwhile, used a baton to defend himself, the police chief said. The officer suffered some bruising and later was treated at the scene by Leavenworth County Emergency Medical Services, Brandau said.

Additional officers arrived at the scene and the man eventually was placed in the back of an officer’s car, where he caused damage to the interior of the vehicle, reports said.

The man was taken to St. John Hospital in Leavenworth for alcohol toxicity, a laceration to the head and a broken wrist.

After being treated, he was released and taken to Leavenworth County Jail, where he remained Wednesday afternoon.

The man refused all sobriety tests, Brandau said, and was arrested for felony fleeing and alluding, aggravated assault on a law enforcement official, battery of a law enforcement officer, criminal damage to property and driving under the influence. He also was arrested for criminal threat, as he verbally threatened to kill officers.

No charges have been filed yet in district court, Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson said Wednesday afternoon.

Comments

straightup 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh this is too good. Our police officer will chase down the citizen that is driving under the influence of alcohol, which they should. But when Chief Brandau was on Vacation he put a officer in as acting Chief and this Acting Chief was called in for duty. He reported to work and driving one of our police cars on a call and this officer was totally under the influence of alcohol. Now there were other officers on this call also. Did they put this Acting Chief under arrest? NO! Not to mention that several citizens called and reported this. I do beleive that this officer is still working and so are the other officers that was also on that call? The other officers that was on this call are just as guilty as this drunk officer! What is wrong with this picture and the police Dept and City Hall for letting this go on? Are they sweeping this under the rug like they do everything else? Why should we call in and report things if the police dept or city hall do nothing about it? Can you say BIG COVER UP!

rosebud 3 years, 5 months ago

Juicy stuff! Can you say big Liability for the city. How can we expect our kids to trust the police when we have this kind of behaviour in the city? If the citizens noticed this... who in the police dept did too and did nothing about it? If this officer was put in as acting chief shouldn't the chief have know this man was a Liability to the city and the citizens? Who is in charge? Mayor, City Administrator, Police Chief? Who.... This is bad if true.

Trouble 3 years, 5 months ago

A Drunk arresting a Drunk? Only in Tonganoxie!!!

concerned220 3 years, 5 months ago

sraightup- In response to your rambling with absolutely no factual proof other than heresay...have you gone to the City Administrator or Mayor or Chief Brandau or a Council Meeting to discuss your concern and give them the whole "truthful" story about the accounts with the "drunk police officer" yourself. You mentioned that "several citizens" called in and reported this. Did they witness firsthand that the officer had been drinking or did they hear from someone who heard from someone else who's cousin's friend's mom told them? Did you witness any of this yourself? This is the other major issue with small town Tonganoxie. We tend to fire up the rumor mill. Sort of like the old game of telephone when we were kids. The end result never resembles anything like the original. You also mention the other officers that were with him are just as guilty. Well, if that's the case then are you also guilty of spreading the rumors around and being quick to post your opinion, but doing nothing productive about it?? In my adult life I have learned that unless you have seen it with your eyes, heard it with your ears, or felt it with your hands then you should probably refrain from commenting and story-telling. Most of us, by the time we hit high school have a firm grasp on how rumors are started and know that 9 times out of 10...most of that rumor is completely inaccurate. I suppose some of us may not have learned though...obviously...which is exactly why this ridiculous cycle never seems to end. Sorry, but my thoughts are grow up and if you do know with 100% certainty something like this is true...do something productive about it.

straightup 3 years, 5 months ago

Concerned220- I'm not spreading rumors. I know this for a fact and no My Grandfather didn't tell Uncle Joe, who told Aunt May, who told cousin Bill, who told me. =) I have seen it firsthand and I did report it. Apparently to the wrong person. But you know what.... this town, this City is good about "Retaliation" so if you think for one minute that I'm going to stand up in public and tell what I have seen .. then you are sadly mistaking. Because I have seen firsthand the the police dept and city hall " retaliate" against good people who speak out! That is one Big major issue with this small town Tonganoxie!

So if you want to be a "grow up" or keep your head stuck in the sand, or be someone that see no evil, hear no evil, or speak no evil then go ahead. But the city did have a Drunk police officer on duty.

I will tell you a rumor that I did hear... I'll tell you that I do not know this for a fact... the City terminated this officer? Maybe for being Drunk?

straightup 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh By the way... I will keep posting my opinion. Sorry you don't agree.

concerned220 3 years, 5 months ago

Well then I commend you on at least making a report. And if you did see it firsthand then you are absolutely right in doing so. I may be a little defensive because I have soft spot when it comes to our police officers. And, we do have a new chief that I have a ton of respect for.

However, I will say based on the last part of your post, it appears they may not have swept this one under the rug?!

My concern with the story (which has nothing to do with the comment you posted) is that one of our officers was injured and from the sounds of it, it could have been much worse. Its frustrating when you read a story like this and the only comments about it are unrelated to the actual story and are only concerned with bashing the entire department and the officials in charge. What about commending the officer on a job well done and for putting his life on the line everyday? What about some respect for these guys that are out there day after day dealing with people like this. Law enforcement is constantly under a magnifying glass (and they should be to a certain extent). But, when I read this story, the last though in my mind was what some other officer did wrong on some other day at some other time and whether or not the city handled it correctly. My thought was that the officer in the story was lucky he was not seriously hurt and what a shame it is that people have such a lack of respect for police officers. So, then, to follow up that feeling by reading your comment really was completely frustrating.

straightup 3 years, 5 months ago

I too have heard the city has a new Police chief. I can only hope he will weed out the bad officers and keep the good ones. It is like the old saying goes... if you have a bad apple in the basket it will spoil the whole basket! The city police dept. has a few bad apples! This is why people have such lack of respect for police officers. I do have respect for the police officers but I also feel they have to earn it though. The city has a few " very" good officers and has loss a few good ones too. I do know they are sometimes put in dangerous situations and dealing with law breakers. But some of Tonganoxie officer are just bullies that have uniforms and guns! Some of these officer do not care how they treat or talk to the good people of this city. I see a problem with this.

I do appreciate the officers that put thier self out there and take these kind of people off the streets.

So maybe if this new chief that you have a "ton of respect" for... will turn this dept around for the good of this community. If this happens.. I will have a" Ton of Respect" for him also. But I fill he has a big job and alot of hard work a head of him!

RDE76 3 years, 4 months ago

Ok just read this great stuff. First off I was at my house in my driveway not in the 200 blk of Delaware... 2nd my right hand was broken immediately so it would be hard for a right handed guy to throw a barbecue grill or beat up a police officer? Correct? and since the date it has not rained correct? Well when I read the paper the other day I thought there would be evidence of barbecue grill debri where I had thrown it. None so I knocked it over and low and behold charcoal dust everywhere... Corrupt would be speaking kindly of this police dept and it has been that way for years.. And since when does standing at your back door mean you are fleeing? Forgot to mention the staples I recieved from baton blows and the concussion. Maybe I should become a cop so I can beat anyone I feel like. I'm working on my resume as soon as I'm done here.