Fire starts with hay baler, spreads to round bales
Tonganoxie Township firefighters battled a fire Thursday afternoon that started with a hay baler and spread to three round bales south of Tonganoxie.
Fire Chief Tim Smith said his department responded about 3:45 p.m. to the fire, which happened in a field on the west side of U.S. Highway 24-40 about a half-mile south of Tonganoxie.
The cause of the fire possibly was a bad bearing, Smith said. The baler was a total loss, he said.
More like this story
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty