THS grads receive NAIA scholar athlete honors
Two Tonganoxie High softball products now playing at University of Saint Mary have been named as 2011 Daktronics-NAIA Scholar Athletes by the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for their efforts both on and off the field during the recently completed 2011 softball season.
The honored Spires, both former Chieftains, are Amie Riddle and Emily Gripka.
Riddle and Gripka became two of only 326 NAIA softball players to be selected for the honor nationwide. To be considered, nominees must be in at least their junior year academically and maintain a GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
"I am proud of our players for everything they've accomplished, both in softball and in the classroom," said USM softball coach Lori Lorenzen. "USM players are dedicated to their sports, but they don't ignore their studies."
More like this story
- Tonganoxie City Fire Department fire calls, April 13-May 3, 2015
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Kansas City Connection: Library activities go way beyond books
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Kansas City Connection: Eating recommendations for moms (and everyone else)