THS grads receive NAIA scholar athlete honors
Two Tonganoxie High softball products now playing at University of Saint Mary have been named as 2011 Daktronics-NAIA Scholar Athletes by the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for their efforts both on and off the field during the recently completed 2011 softball season.
The honored Spires, both former Chieftains, are Amie Riddle and Emily Gripka.
Riddle and Gripka became two of only 326 NAIA softball players to be selected for the honor nationwide. To be considered, nominees must be in at least their junior year academically and maintain a GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
"I am proud of our players for everything they've accomplished, both in softball and in the classroom," said USM softball coach Lori Lorenzen. "USM players are dedicated to their sports, but they don't ignore their studies."
More like this story
- Cowboy event moseying in this weekend into Tonganoxie
- 2016 Douglas County Fair Schedule
- Kansas City Connection: 9 events to kick off a busy September
- Tonganoxie City Fire Department fire calls, April 13-May 3, 2015
- Tonganoxie VFW biscuits and gravy feed New Year's Day and other items of note heading into 2017