Bonner resident gets life for molesting preteen
Leavenworth A Bonner Springs man has been sentenced to life in prison for sexually abusing a preteen four years ago in Lansing.
Stephen Michael Russell, 36, was sentenced Friday in Leavenworth County District Court.
Judge Gunnar Sundby ordered the prison sentence after a jury in March convicted Russell of aggravated criminal sodomy. The victim was 11 or 12 years old at the time of the sexual molestation, said Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson. Russell sexually molested the boy between August 1, 2007, and October 2, 2007, in a Lansing residence. The victim, now 15, testified at the trial.
Russell resided in Lansing at the time of the molestation but then moved to Bonner Springs with relatives, where he resided at the time of the trial.
Russell had been free on bond pending sentencing, but at Friday’s hearing Sundby revoked the bond and remanded Russell to the custody of the Leavenworth County sheriff.
Sundby took under advisement a request by Russell’s attorney for an appeal bond.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie basketball teams earn wins at home tourney as Eudora wins 5th straight title
- Tonganoxie High girls pick up victory at Turner
- Tonganoxie girls fall to Atchison, preparing for substate clash with top-rated Piper
- Piper High snaps Chieftain girls' winning streak
- Tonganoxie freshman Brusven named to all-LJW basketball team