Airport site study recommends locations near Leavenworth, Lansing
If a regional airport comes to Leavenworth County in the near future, it appears bound for the northeast part of the county.
At a workshop Wednesday in Lansing, a consulting firm unveiled three possible sites for a future general aviation airport in the county, and all were in the Leavenworth and Lansing area.
The three recommended sites are off Gilman Road east of Lansing, off Eisenhower Road southwest of Leavenworth and off Coffin Road west of Fort Leavenworth.
The recommendations were the result of a site selection study by Coffmann Associates. In August 2010, the Federal Aviation Administration agreed to pay 95 percent of the study's cost, about $150,000. Leavenworth County paid for the rest of the cost, about $4,000.
Mike Dmyterko, project manager for Coffman Associates, said the firm had looked for possible sites in the southern portion of the county during the study, but it could not find any suitable locations, for a number of reasons, including proximity to the municipal airport on the north edge of Lawrence.
For more on the airport study, see next week's online and print editions.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie City Council candidate questionnaire: Mike Vestal
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Avian flu case confirmed in Leavenworth County
- 8 years after tornado, Greensburg to have theater again
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor