Archive for Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Five injured in rollover accident on 24-40 in Tonganoxie

Officers investigate the scene of a rollover accident on U.S. Highway 24-40 in Tonganoxie on Wednesday, Nov. 23.

November 23, 2011, 3:48 p.m.

Updated: November 28, 2011, 1:30 p.m.

A two-vehicle accident on U.S. Highway 24-40 in Tonganoxie sent five people to Lawrence Memorial Hospital on Wednesday afternoon.

Jill Poje was attempting to drive her 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix across U.S. 24-40 from Stone Creek when her vehicle was struck by a 2008 Ford Focus driven by Raymond Woods. Woods was traveling westbound on U.S. 24-40 at the time of the accident and attempted to stop to avoid the Grand Prix, according to a statement from Tonganoxie Police Lt. Billy Adcox.

Poje’s vehicle rolled onto its roof, and she and her two passengers, Bailey Poje and Blake Poje, were transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with minor injuries.

Woods and an unidentified female passenger were also transported to LMH with minor injuries. Woods was later treated and released, as was Poje and her passengers.

Tonganoxie police, the Kansas Highway Patrol, the Tonganoxie Fire Department and Leavenworth County Emergency Medical Services responded to the accident.

This story has been changed to correct the number of vehicles involved in the accident. Police Chief Jeff Brandau said at the scene that three vehicles were involved; later, he said he was mistaken and there were only two.

Comments

Lorelei 2 years, 5 months ago

Seriously?!?! We almost lost a friend and her two children today at this intersection! We have lived in StoneCreek for 8 years and I can't tell you how many accidents I have witnessed or drove up on shortly after they've occurred. What does it take to get a light at our intersection? Not only is it extremely dangerous with all the traffic from FastTracs, but it's near impossible to pull onto 24-40 in the morning and afternoon. I am so thankful they will be alright, but WHY hasn't anyone done anything??????? I know it has been discussed in the past!

jdhumm 2 years, 5 months ago

Lorelie, I agree. The 24 40 corridor from the high school on east past this intersection is a death trap. I live on south Village Street and have to make a left hand turn coming home every night at "Ellies' restraunt. Cars come charging at me doing 65 plus MPH when I am trying to make my left hand turn and many of the cars coming at me think they should be in the turning lane in front of Ellie's to make the right hand turn onto Laming Road. The Stone Creek and 24 40 intersecion is as bad as the Village St, 24 40 intersection.

Michael Vestal 2 years, 4 months ago

What seems to be the problem folks? What's ALL the fuss? NOBODY HAS DIED THERE!!! YET!!! That's what their waiting for folks!! Of course I'm being sarcastic, but really it's sad that's what it takes to get something done!! SOMEONE HAS TO DIE!! Look at K-10, They finally had a death!! WAKE UP City of Tonganoxie & State of Kansas!! I know we're just taxpayers & Voters. Our lives aren't "WORTH" much!! Speed limit may help, Stop light is the answer!!

12345 2 years, 4 months ago

This is a VERY bad intersection. The worst times are in the morning when the sun comes down right on top of the cars driving west and makes them very hard to see and the evening when it's so busy people take stupid risks to make it out in traffic.

Last night I left there with a trailer going straight across and couldn't make it across the intersection fast enough to not be worried about a west bound car that popped over the hill right when I took off.

Something needs to be done. Lowering the speed limit will help, but it's not an answer.

12345 2 years, 4 months ago