Archive for Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Blaze causes substantial damage to area home

October 5, 2011

A Friday morning fire caused substantial damage to a home southeast of Tonganoxie.

The fire occurred about 11 a.m. at 16690 182nd Street, Stranger Township Fire Chief Mark Billquist said. The fire chief said the homeowner, Kevin Hood, was at the home when the fire started but was not injured.

Westar Energy was called to the scene for a downed power line, which Billquist said might have been severed by the fire, but it still was under investigation. Billquist said Friday afternoon he was awaiting the state fire marshal to investigate the fire.

There also was a propane tank about 50 feet from the house, Billquist said, but firefighters were able to protect it from the fire.

“It was close enough I was worried about it,” Billquist said.

Additional Leavenworth County fire departments from Fairmount, Sherman and Tonganoxie townships, as well as the city of Tonganoxie, assisted Stranger Township.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.