Presentation on socialist newspaper to highlight historical society meeting
From 1896 until World War I, the Appeal to Reason, a socialist weekly newspaper published in Girard, was one of the nation’s most influential newspapers. Professor Randy Roberts of Pittsburg State University will discuss the Appeal’s roles in investigative journalism, the impact upon social and legislative policy, the passage of the nation’s first pure food and drug legislation and the paper’s legacy in American history.
Professor Roberts will speak at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 25 at the Tonganoxie Community Historic Site, 201 W. Washington Tonganoxie. For more information, contact the Tonganoxie Community Historical Society at (913) 845-2852.
More like this story
- University of Kansas student leaders outline diversity plan
- Kansas Senate plan would hinder university's bonding move
- Kansas State of State address: Brownback appeals to GOP base
- Tonganoxie USD 464 receives one bid for former elementary school
- Kansas, five other states sue Obama administration over Affordable Care Act