Presentation on socialist newspaper to highlight historical society meeting
From 1896 until World War I, the Appeal to Reason, a socialist weekly newspaper published in Girard, was one of the nation’s most influential newspapers. Professor Randy Roberts of Pittsburg State University will discuss the Appeal’s roles in investigative journalism, the impact upon social and legislative policy, the passage of the nation’s first pure food and drug legislation and the paper’s legacy in American history.
Professor Roberts will speak at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 25 at the Tonganoxie Community Historic Site, 201 W. Washington Tonganoxie. For more information, contact the Tonganoxie Community Historical Society at (913) 845-2852.
More like this story
- University of Kansas student leaders outline diversity plan
- Kansas ponders new protections for campus religious groups
- Tough voter citizenship rules pull Kansas into multiple lawsuits
- Tonganoxie USD 464 candidate questionnaire: Diane Truesdell
- Presidents of 4 Kansas universities decline salary increase