Presentation on socialist newspaper to highlight historical society meeting
From 1896 until World War I, the Appeal to Reason, a socialist weekly newspaper published in Girard, was one of the nation’s most influential newspapers. Professor Randy Roberts of Pittsburg State University will discuss the Appeal’s roles in investigative journalism, the impact upon social and legislative policy, the passage of the nation’s first pure food and drug legislation and the paper’s legacy in American history.
Professor Roberts will speak at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 25 at the Tonganoxie Community Historic Site, 201 W. Washington Tonganoxie. For more information, contact the Tonganoxie Community Historical Society at (913) 845-2852.
More like this story
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?
- Kansas lawmakers seek to boost campaign contribution limits
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Kansas House passes teacher collective bargaining compromise