Sporting KC locks up first place in Eastern Conference
Sporting Kansas City secured first place in the Eastern Conference with a 1-0 victory against D.C. United Saturday at RFK Stadium.
Defender Matt Besler tallied Sporting KC's only goal in the 54th minute and secured the club's first conference championship since 2004.
The win also capped a remarkable turnaround this season. Sporting Kansas City was in last place when it opened LIVESTRONG Sporting Park after beginning the season on a 10-match road swing. The victory against D.C. United completed the club's worst-to-first surge.
Sporting KC lost just three times in its final 26 matches.
Sporting Kansas City will learn who its first playoff opponent will be following a wild card match Wednesday or Thursday. Sporting Kansas City will travel for the first leg of the Eastern Conference semifinal on Saturday, Oct. 29, or Sunday, Oct. 30. The club will then play host to the decisive second leg Wednesday, Nov. 2, or Thursday, Nov. 3, at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie Chieftain athletes among best in area
- Chieftain softball lands 2 Tonganoxie players on Lawrence Journal-World All-Area Team
- Tonganoxie, McLouth student-athletes named to all-Lawrence Journal-World teams
- Tonganoxie volleyball lands on all-LJW team
- Regionals start today, tomorrow for Tonganoxie, McLouth teams