Letter to the editor: Asset to Tonganoxie
To the editor:
We are lucky to have Good Shepherd Thrift Shop and Food Pantry. For 25 years, the shop has worked to give aid to needy families. About 80 volunteers give their time and effort to keep the shop running.
Since January, the shop has helped 711 families, 114 in September alone. The help is in the form of food, clothing, blankets and utility bills. People can go to the shop for help 9 a.m.-11 a.m. Monday through Saturday, with the exception of Thursday, when it is closed.
Donations of nonperishable food, personal hygiene products, paper goods and money can be made during store hours of 9 a.m.-noon. Donations of household goods and clothing may be made during store hours. The income from the sale of these items goes to pay the costs for the building as well as helping needy families.
Families needing help with Thanksgiving dinner can apply at the store until Nov. 5. Applications for Christmas meals and gifts for children will be accepted until Nov. 19. These services are available only to Leavenworth County residents, excluding Leavenworth city and Lansing.
The Good Shepherd board meets at 1:30 p.m. at the shop the first Tuesday of every month. Anyone with questions or suggestions is welcome. The shop is closed whenever schools are closed because of weather.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Kansas City Connection: Sushi and Sufjan
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Tonganoxie Public Library presenting Celtic performance at the Jewel on Main
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary